Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 977K drive shaft

Cat977 · 2024-07-06 20:55

I had the universal joints replaced about 2 years ago looks like she came apart, any opinions? It didn't go bang! It started shaking and throwing some oil and I shut it down. Should I change both joints? Would the oil be contaminated?

Replies5
  1. #1Cliffy2024-07-06 22:32

    Looks like you got out of that lightly. Ive seen shafts come off and damage everything in the radius. My guess is that the cup wasn’t seated properly on the flange. Damaged face or not pulled down correctly. Bolts come loose and cup was chattering on flange. I would replace uni and flange. Other uni might br ok but make sure shaft didn’t get bent. Would replace flexible pipe and depending on availability of steel pipe weld or replace that as well. Oil should be ok. Thats why you have filters.

  2. #2Cat9772024-07-06 23:33

    That makes good sense. The fellow thought it was tight, but it wasn't seated properly. Once it worked loose it was just a matter of time till the bolts came off.

  3. #3Nige2024-07-07 06:25

    There's a tag on the steel pipe with a Part Number. that should help you search for it.

  4. #4Cat9772024-07-07 07:41

    Thanks Nige

  5. #5Cat9772024-07-08 12:27

    I think I found the problem. He used bolts that were not a full thread like the originals on the other side and these are 1/4-in longer. he tightened the bolts into the shank which did not pull the two halves together. He thought they were tight but they weren't. I think the one worked loose and dropped out and then this one that was still sitting there as a post broke off. At least I have more time this year... I can do it myself but the parts are going to cost a lot more!