Have a late 70s 977L that I need to do a service on. I have the service manuals, but it's 50 year old info, and not much in there on fluids to use. I pulled up the listing through Chevron's info at work (I work at a bulk lube distributor). Engine says 10w30 or 15w40. I'm going to run 5w40 since I stock it and use it in everything. Helps in the winter when it's well below zero too. Not really confused there. For the trans, it says to use 10 or 30 weight Torq Force (basically $$ engine oil). The book says to use the same oil as in the engine, which they spec as 10 or 30 weight, depending on temps. Can I use 5w40? For hydraulics is says to use TorqForce MP, which is a 30 weight, not too sure what's special vs Torq 30, . We don't carry it and it's almost $50 a gallon. Regular Torq 30 is around half that. I had to top if off last summer and I put a pail of AW32.. hydraulics = hydraulic oil, right? Finals it says to use Delo 400 50 weight or Torq 30. I'd have figured to use gear oil in these. 50 weight engine oil is around an iso 220, which is also about a 90 weight gear oil. Any of that make sense? Not sure if I'll need to dump the trans, hydraulic or finals, will depend on how they look. Going to pull the filters and replace those. I think it was used on the slope so they are fairly on it for keeping fluids changed. Maybe old filters will have hrs on them. Oh.. not exactly new, just can't remember my username, it's been a few years.
Also anyone know the capacities? I've only been able to find oil capacity from searching on a 3306. The books aren't showing it that I've found.
Post a Serial Number. I can look in the book for capacities. Hydraulics would be a straight 10W hydraulic oil Transmission and finals should both be oils meeting Cat TO-4 specification, and not EP gear oils for the finals. The only question is what viscosity. What are the min/max ambient temperatures likely to be.? Do Chevron manufacture a multi-grade TO-4 oil.?
14x01844 10wt would be roughly ISO32 hydraulic oil. Mostly summer use, 40-70* 5w30 Torque Force is TO4. All the Torque Force line is I believe. It's pretty much fancy engine oil.
Here is the system capacity chart from the O&M Manual. A complete service manual should have a copy of the O&M in the binder but they often go walkabout. Pretty much, but not enough to make any difference in the kind of ambient temperatures in which you're expecting the machine to operate. Can you post up a data sheet for the 5W/30, I can't find one online. If it's like the rest of the Chevron Torque Force product line it's a lot more than "fancy engine oil" because it has all sorts in the additive package for clutch & brake friction materials. This is necessary for powershift transmissions. EDIT: You're not talking about the 5W/30 TorqForce Synthetic are you.? Delo TorqForce Syn Synthetic Lubricant | Chevron Lubricants (US) www.chevronlubricants.com
Yup, that's it. Expensive stuff. I would only consider that if ambients were ranging from below 0 up to close to 100 DegF and you wanted to use one oill that would cover the whole range of temperatures without having to change between a summer and a winter oil. TBH if you are going to operate in ambient temps between 40 and 70 DegF I would go for the Delo TorqForce mineral oil rather than the synthetic stuff. SAE30 in the transmission & bevel gear compartment and SAE 50 in the final drives. This is the Data Sheet I have. The reason not to use EP (aka gear) oils in the final drives as per what you proposed in your OP is that the additives in them are known to attack the silicone rubber in Cat Duo-Cone seal Toric rings which would lead to your final drive oil migrating from inside the case to become a puddle on the ground, plus a very expensive tear down to replace the seals. My advice FWIW would be to always use a TO-4 in those final drives.
Yeah it's spendy stuff. 5w30 is around $35 a gallon, Torq 30 is around $18. 10 and 50 is around the same.
TBH if you have it available I'd go TorqForce in everything apart from the engine. SAE10W in the hydraulics which won't hurt anything, SAE30 in the transmission, & SAE50 in the finals. If you want a Maintenance Manual here's one on eBay for $40.