Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 980B Whines

oarwhat ยท 2014-03-24 19:22

Hey guys I just purchased my third 980B. It a decent machine but it whines. For sure when you turn it when going along. Also at times with the hydraulics. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1kshansen2014-03-24 19:45

    My first thought would be a worn pump. Not sure of the S/N but most of that vintage used Vickers Vane type pumps. When they start to wear the cartridge they will whine pretty bad.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-03-24 20:06

    Check for loose suction line clamps or brittle suction hoses. If they are sucking air it will whine.

  3. #3oarwhat2014-03-25 22:25

    Thanks guys I just bought it and it does leak around the pumps I have to clean it up to see where. It looks like it's coming from the suction lines on the bottom. I'll seal it all up and see it that cures it.

  4. #4kshansen2014-03-26 05:31

    Yes that should have been my first guess, always go with the easiest and cheapest things first. Tightening a couple hose clamps beats pulling pumps to inspect or replace cartridges any day!

  5. #5Delmer2014-03-26 09:43

    Not your fault, he was WITHHOLDING information.

  6. #6oarwhat2014-03-26 10:45

    WITHHOLDING INFO? I like to throw it out there without to much info as to not sway the reply's. It's always good to get as many idea's as possible. Also I didn't think such a small leak could cause the issue. Kshansen reply is helpful as I didn't know it was a vane pump. I don't get lucky with this stuff often. My solutions are never easy or cheap. Just a lucky guy I guess.

  7. #7kshansen2014-03-26 18:59

    Well without the s/n I'm just guessing it a Vickers pump but many Cat on other brands used them back then. I think I only worked on maybe one 980B and that was many moons ago. I know I did have to replace a front oil seal in one back then. Recall getting the hub off the tapered crank without the "factory" tooling took some imagination. I did work on a few of the pre-B versions with the four overhead cam V-8 engines. Lots of gears in those engines. Rattled like heck at idle. Guy I knew and work with for a couple years was working on replacing one of them with a 8V-71 Detroit, not sure if he ever finished that project. He had Alpine Green paint in his veins and hated anything painted Cat Yellow.

  8. #8oarwhat2014-03-27 07:28

    Kshansen The s/n is 89p10XX The guy you talk about sounds like the same guy Bob/Ont talks about on here. One of my 980b's doesn't have fourth gear. I found a reman trans for a 42H cheap. When I checked the complete parts list the only difference was the case. I posted on here is it ok to use it. He said don't do it. A guy put a Detroit in a 980 42HXXXX and broke the case on the trans a couple times. Same guy? Bob is from Ontario

  9. #9Nige2014-03-27 07:47

    If I can just chime in here. NOT giving a full description of ALL the symptoms of any problem is only going to muddy the waters of any possible diagnosis, and potentially send things off on a tangent completely unrelated to the problem - IMHO.

  10. #10kshansen2014-03-27 20:37

    If you have the time and a way to pull that transmission, how about just fixing yours? Not sure of availability of parts but back in the day did a lot of 966 through 988B Transmissions and they were all pretty easy to work on if you have a fairly clean place to work. Before pulling transmission, have you found anything in suction strainer or filter indicating a failure? Maybe take some pressure tests of clutches to see what shows there. If you pull the control valve out you can use air to check each clutch to see if that shows anything. There is a chance that the problem is in fact in the control valve and just need a good cleaning and replacing of seals. It's been many years but recall a problem with a 966C that turned out to be one of the seals under the control valve that some how had come out of place.

  11. #11oarwhat2014-03-28 06:51

    Kshansen Thanks for that info! I used air on a boat transmission once but never thought to use it on the 980. I'll check it out for sure. I was always going to pull it but never got around to it. Do I have to have 4th gear not really but it would be nice. Does the transmission have to come out to get at the clutches? Whats the best way to pull it? One guy told me to pull it with the engine. Thanks again Randy

  12. #12oarwhat2014-03-28 07:10

    Nige let me rephrase my comment. Often I have an idea what the problem might be. I then lead the responses in that direction. Which confirms my idea maybe correct. This keeps the guys from thinking about the issue with an open mind. I hope that makes sense. For example if I said my 980B is whining and leaking near the hydraulic pump. The guys would tell me it's probably sucking air which is my idea. It would stop them from thinking about other issues. Like maybe this machine has a noisy valve or pump that is a very common problem. The leak at my hydraulic pump is very small so I don't think that's it but that is where I will start. I hope this explains my thinking. Randy

  13. #13kshansen2014-03-28 09:17

    Like I said before pulling the trans. check some other things that can be done with it still in place. If problem is in the clutches, either failed discs(this should show up in strainer and filters) or bad seals the transmission would have to come out. I could send you the instructions that Cat suggests if you send me a Private Message with email address. They show leaving the engine in place but removing the cab and the battery supports under the seat.