so, I am helping a friend to get a couple of his loader running, after sitting for 10 years. I am on the 3rd one, & it was missing the fuel transfer pump / hour meter unit. Got that replaced & I am getting fuel into the filters & fuel / air is coming out of the injection pump. but no fuel into the cylinders. if there a way to test for the fuel pressure at the pump? something else to look at? Filters are new. Loader is a Cat 988, SN 87A5018. it's an old one...……. it does want to fire on starting fluid. I have never had to dig into the fuel system this far before. Not having a shop manual is a disadvantage. Thanks in advance. NT
You probably covered this already that one should have the knob to loosen by the filters to bleed air while priming with the hand pump once the hand pump is stiff crack lines at the injectors and crank it over while someone keeps pumping and checking the knob for air Also make sure to pull and check the cleanable filter screen in the water separator can
Probably not much help but, loader has a fuel ratio control group, which looking at it on SIS it appears to be a regulator. The injection pump appears to have a control handle to shut off the fuel. So if you can pump the primer and have fuel come out the line going into the pump, then it has to be a pump issue or at least by my thinking. Maybe the pump guy will show up advise
Thanks for the reply's, all responses are helpful...……. The cleanable filter screen was full of junk, so I replaced the screen & parts with new, no bad price at Cat ($27). The knob I know is tightened, I did use the hand pump, and fuel did drip out of the tube, and then tightened the knob. If I try to pump the primer, it feel like there is a vacuum on it. Not sure what "SIS" is, the handle may be the throttle handle that connects into the fuel injection pump. if you pull up on the throttle pedal, the linkage pull on this "arm" to shut off the engine. The injection pump does have a hard line plumbed into it, curious if the pump sense's oil pressure, manifold pressure? turning the engine over, oil pressure is into the green area on the gauge. Thanks! NT
How much vacuum on the hand pump? It should easily push a stream of full at a decent pressure , check that out the tank might be shut off, hose from tank collapsed internally seen that one quite a few times, tank plugged ect, if its plugged hard enough the vaccum will suck the plunger right back down
It will pull the plunger back down about half way. I used shop air to blow the lines back to the tank, the lines seem to be clear. There is a valve in the frame rail, it has a square hex on top. would that be the fuel shut off ?
On top of the square is a line. Line should be pointing in the same direction as the fuel lines to be open. Sounds like the fuel pump control rack is frozen. Happens from sitting! Simple check: Loosen all fuel lines @ the injection pump. Use hand primer pump to build up pressure, fuel should leak out. If you do not have fuel. Remove the 6 bolts, remove the cover plate. Fuel control rack should move back and forth by hand, bit of resistance. If the rack doesn't move indicates one or more individual fuel pumps are frozen. Individual injection pumps, some have a bleeder screw; would be located towards the engine cylinder block. Requires a special wrench or modified Snap-on socket. If you have to remove injection(s) pump: Clean off the top mounting surface, remove hold down bolts-half clamps, tap lightly with a hammer and carefully remove the frozen pump or pumps. Observe the scroll gears' scribed timing line. TIMING LINE HAS TO ALIGN WITH THE RACK'S LINES. Work the Plunger-Scroll Gear back and forth to loosen, use clean diesel fuel to lube up before reinstalling. Or replace. Do not mix up plunger-scroll gears.
Thanks StanRUS. It is supposed to rain though Monday. So probably try out your recommendation next week. Thanks, NT
Another possibility which can compound the issue is if the tank pickup tube and line is clogged up.
I used shop air to check, disconnected the lines at the filters, and blew back into the tank. seem to be clear. Thanks,, NT
NT, Scratch my prior reply. 87A5018 has later small forged body fuel injection pump. You need a service manual for 343 or 1693 engine. Try Quinn Use Parts 562-463-4000 or Riverside 951-686-4560. Borrow a manual; cartoons will help you. To check rack movement will require disassembly of the governor starting with removal of the air fuel ratio control assembly. Considering the transfer pump was removed. I will assume the engine had a NO fuel problem before. Sitting , I had a complete dealer overhauled and dyno tested 343 stored inside of the shop for 4.5 years. Installed engine, NO fuel...every injection pump plunger was frozen up. Primer Pump: Requires 20-30 strokes before you'll have a full stroke of fuel. With the governor control held open and injection lines loosened @ the pump, fuel should squirt out. Fuel Line blockage. Disconnect line at fuel filter and pressurize tank with shop air.
Thanks StanRUS! I was going to post to ask what model engine it has in it. Not sure on the transfer pump; back story, my friend has health issues. no one seems to know why the transfer pump was removed, including him. he has 3 of these 988's in the same yard. So I am trying to compare issues, 1 against the others. 10-4 on the primer pump. I need to check the valve that you referenced, to see if it is open. Quinn in Riverside has been my go to for parts. It is on my way, sort of. But the Parts Masters can only assist so much. NT
NT, Are the 988s in the Riverside area? Injection pump isn't brain science, but does require specific procedures to be followed. Old style pump I 1st referenced Images from Ebay, trying to locate a cheap engine service manual.
They are located in San Bernardino. His wife is looking for the shop manuals...…….. I couldn't find a cheap manual. Thanks for the images. NT
I have spent some time looking for the shop manual for the D343 engine. Where is the SN tag located?
Well I have a service manual for 988 87A Cats. Not for sale but I could scan some pages in as needed. Let me know what you need.
Just a bit to get things going here:
FANTASTIC! Can you scan the pages on the setting of top dead center of #1 cylinder & the removing & installing of the injection pump / governor assembly? Thanks a million. NT
That motor uses the machine serial number.Unless it's been changed. Bob
Thanks! As far as I know (I been known the owner for 30+ years) the motors have never been changed. NT
Will do tomorrow or next day at the latest.
Hi kshansen, sent you a message with my email. Thanks, NT
nordictom, Purchase new fuel pump drive coupler bolts 2ea (100-110lb ft torque,each loosen-tighten reduces torque ability) and lock-plate if you remove the pump assembly. Located under the cover with 4 bolts towards the bell housing, also your timing bolt location to pin @ TDC #1 is located on the bellhousing right side. You'll need to lift the upper cam box cover to see when your @ TDC #1 = #6 intake cam lobe just closing #6 exhaust cam lobe just opening. Probably need a new cover gasket and air pressure to blow out the bolt holes, they fill up with dirt. Want a Cat mechanic? 15-30 minutes to diagnose your problem. Rialto, Fontana, Colton or SB? Lots of guys sitting @ home because of rainy, muddy job site issues.
Hi StanRUS, I received your referrals. They are forecasting rain this weekend again. But I am still going to call the mechanics. Thanks, NT
Rod is located in Mira Loma, but he operates his excavator...call anyway. Richard isn't working, service truck can't be used / emissions BS, purchase a newer rig, LOL If they can't help you out, they'll give you Jerry @ Cash or Butch @ Jagur phone numbers...all the guys know D343s UM, maybe not the younger generation, computer wise kids.
Thanks! LOL, the emission crap is killing biz in Ca. NT
Thought I would update the loader status...……………….. Rod & I have been hard at it, mostly on Saturdays. The injection pump was locked up, probably from sitting too long. Rod found a used pump, we R&R it. the used pump is not working. He tracked down another used pump, but it was locked up. So now I have 2 injection pumps in the garage and need to get one of them rebuilt. BCES wants $1400 to start, Industrial Injection want $225 to start but $2000 to start repairs, the $225 goes towards the repairs. few other shops want $3500 to start. Any referrals to someone who does side job rebuilds? Thanks, NT
Our own member ThePumpGuySC is exactly who you are looking for.
Any contact info? fell free to PM me. Thanks, NT
Just click on the "Members" button up near top of the page next to the "Forums" button and when the box opens up in the find member place type in" thepumpguysc " Actually about the only thing you need to put in is "thep" and it will show up! He's that important!
ThePumpguy, good idea. All of the used take off pumps also have frozen plungers from sitting.
NT, OEM Individual injection pumps (PLUNGERS) 9S3656 $191.91 ea X 6 = $1,151.46 Available out of Spokane, Washington. Plus freight and tax ? Miscellaneous small parts, seals,shim rings (to set lifter height), gaskets guesstimate $400 to $600.00. Assuming the camshaft and roller followers and bearings are 'not' damaged and the fuel rack pump housing bushings are not damaged. Plus 10hrs labor $1,000.00 Total $2,800.00 There is your estimated repair cost of $2 to 3,500.00 Maybe 50% of the auction sale price to repair the fuel pump.
That is some of the problem with bigger equipment like the 988's, at least around here! Now if you have a 966C it might bring twice the auction price or more! At least the last time our company sold some of those back in the early 2000 teens. I was shocked at the sale price for some of the 966C's that were not even complete machines let alone running!