Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 988a radiator 87A prefix

JakeHarrington ยท 2017-04-17 13:53

I'm looking for a radiator for a 988a. used one preferably. if any one has a good part number or a source of these old radiators it would be greatly appreciated for some help tracking down a fitting radiator. does anyone know if radiators from other machines with fit into a 988a 87A prefix? i have a good radiator from a D8H 46A, does any think it will be a close fit? I'm willing to try as long as its close ill just change up the piping if need be.

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2017-04-18 09:41

    Can you give me a complete S/N as when I look in SIS there are seven different S/N ranges and just want to be sure I give the correct part number. I know our local radiator shop here can order after market cores for just about anything just going by size and number of bolts. I'm sure a Cat part number would also help.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2017-04-20 19:38

    If you do mount a different radiator, you will probably have to use the fan shroud off your existing machine. A improper shroud will cause short circuiting of the air around the fan instead of pulling air thru the radiator usually resulting in a overheat condition. Look at how the shroud is positioned in relation to the fan before you tear it down.

  3. #3kshansen2017-04-20 20:03

    I just dropped off a couple old Farmall Radiators at the local shop yesterday. If I see more info like a S/N before I pick them up I could ask them about availability and maybe get a lead on a shop down state or a supplier they might know of down that way.

  4. #4JakeHarrington2017-04-21 15:58

    Sorry for the hold up on the s/n it took me a few days to get over to the machine. my machine is 87A2920 i understand exactly what your saying with the shroud. also i have the top and bottom i guess tanks for the radiator, I'm just missing the core because some one decided it was worth it to cut it out of my machine for scrap.. with that being said depending all on prices and availability i rather throw a compete radiator in there then trying to replace just the core and having leaks.

  5. #5kshansen2017-04-22 10:03

    Well going with that S/n Cat does say obsolete, but we kind of knew that already! Cat part number is/was 9S4103 A quick Google search on that number shows a few hit one of the first is: http://www.superiorcooling.co/radiator-core-for-caterpillar-6.html If you scroll down the page you can see the 9S4103 is available with two options first #225037 with brass fins and #225846 with steel fins. No price listed says CALL. Looks like they have warehouse down in PA. If you are looking for a complete radiator I'm thinking finding a new one might be out of the question, and a used one would, in my mind, be a very iffy thing to purchase do to the age of anything out there. If your tanks have the strips the bolts go through to hold the bolts it is not that big of a job to replace the core, just lots of 3/8 bolts! Just make sure you make notes and take pictures so you get the core in facing the right way! Have seen that mistake made even by a radiator shop! When, or if, you do get ready to rebuild this radiator there are a few things I would strongly suggest. First would be to rebuild the radiator cap with new seal/gasket. Second replace the pressure regulating valve, that is the smaller round thing with the five bolts to the left of the radiator filler cap. Let me know if you need part numbers for those parts.

  6. #6d9gdon2017-04-22 10:09

    The radiator core is 9S-4103, but you said you wanted the complete radiator. Here's some dismantled loaders that may have a complete radiator. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...equipment/manufacturer/caterpillar/model/988a