I was just curious if anyone had a list of what all the lettering before or after the model number i.e 322D or 390F. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before I'm new to the forum. Appreciate any help thanks.
I thought the letters referred to the version. For example, D would be older than E and E would be older than F. The excavators are named 3-22-D meaning 22 ton, version D. I also heard once that the D in D3 or D4 dozer didn't stand for "dozer" but for "diesel" These are guesses. **EDIT: here's and old showing some of the same questions and responses:
Yea I know the numbers are tonnage of the equipment. I heard somewhere that the lettering was to identify different models like LC was Long Carriage and D was Demolishion UHD was Ultra High Demolishion. I could be mistaken too.
The letter immediately following the machine number is the series, any letter after that states the machine specs for example: 390F LME would be F-series L-long undercarriage, ME-Mass Excavator, etc, etc
Thanks Jim I knew they stood for something. Appreciate the response. Do you happen to know the other series off the top of your head?
When you say series, are you referring to the cat excavators or other equipment? Or not cat? Huntoon is correct about the "D" in their dozers. It stands for Diesel because when they were originally released by cat they were their Diesel Track Type Tractors. I do not however know if the numbers represent anything other than 11 is bigger than 3 at this point.
I'm just referring to CAT excavators in this question sorry I should have been more clear.
So here is off the top of my head Eg 330D L FM -3 is series which almost all are now (Cat started a purpose built forestry excavator 568 (which is a 336E with forestry package) but thats the only one so far not counting the tilters/harvesters eg 552) -Next 2 digits are tonnage -Series D for most tier 3 engines, E for tier 4 interm and now F for tier 4 final - don't take that to the bank it's just what I noticed - L which a lot are for long u/c RR- reduced radius CR- compact raduis FM -Forest machine LL- Log loader ME - Mass excavator MH- Material handler H - Hybrid
Big Ben got most of the ones I can think of, here are a couple others: FS- Front Shovel N- Narrow (tracks) M3XX- wheeled ES- Extreme Service
Awesome guys thanks for the posts. Big help.