Just got a new 150AWD. One of the first things I noticed was how exposed the front tire valve stems were. I looked at a neighboring Townships machine and theirs were both bent around against the wheel. Here's a pic of mine before modification. I talked to the Tech at Foley Equipment about a solution. He suggested something similar to what I built. I started with a 1/4" x 3.5" x 10.5" piece of flat bar. I drilled two holes to match the lug bolt spacing. Then drilled a larger hole in the center for the valve stem to fit thru. Then I cut a piece of 1.5" diameter black pipe with a threaded end so it could be capped. I actually bought a 6" 1.5" threaded nipple and cut it in half to make two stems. By cutting a slight angle I got them to point in the same direction as the valve stem. Also bought two 1.5" threaded pipe caps for covers. No more worries about the valve stems getting damaged.
Here's pics of the finished install.
I like your ingenuity in solving the problem but, what about using shorter stems.?
Thanks Nige!!!! That really means something to me coming from you. I consider you leagues above me. CAT used a very stupid design on these wheels. The stem hole in the rim is behind the center section. The stem has a curve built into it. Leaves the wheel and curves outward to protrude thru the hole in the center section. I have no idea why they didn't just put the stem hole outside of the center section and use a short, straight stem. Here's a pic of a JD. Zoom in on the front wheel and you can see how they did it. Worked great. Never had any issues of damage to the stem.
I think what you have to remember is that Cat don't manufacture their own wheel rims. They buy in from outside. I may be wrong but I would bet that they don't even design the rims but simply pick from the catalogue of what the supplier has available. Most Cat wheel rims are made by Topy in Japan. Take a look and you will probably find a Topy stamp somewhere on the rims of your 150. What do the rear wheel valve stems look like.?
The rears look like the JD I pictured except they have no guard. The JD doesn't have guards on the rears either. Sorry I don't have a good pic of the CAT rears.
Forgot to comment on outsourcing. I understand that. Most manufacturers do. But I'll say, who built these wheels isn't the problem. The problem is who spec'd them. And that would be CAT.
I like it, good job solving your problem.
Those look good. Nice.
To which my response would be that there is no guarantee that the valve stems that are on there right now are the ones the factory called for. With today’s “just in time” supply chain system it wouldn’t be the first time someone said “put whatever we have available on it” so that a new machine wasn’t delayed going out of the door for a small-value item. Seen it loads of times.
I agree Nige. With the stem hole behind the center plate, and no room in there to utilize the valve stem because of limited clearance with the drive motors in the way, they had no choice but make a hole thru the center plate and stick them out. There is room on the rim outside the center plate to have put them there. I'd like to visit with the Engineer about that.
Adapt, overcome, improvise
Absolutely