Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Bucket Reheel

ADMSWELDING ยท 2006-01-12 20:58

Attached is a photo of a reheel i did on a cat excavator if i remember correctly it was a 320 but after so many i,m not sure but anyways hope you enjoy the photo i have others if anyone is intrested. :waving

Replies30
  1. #1badranman2006-01-12 23:30

    Great job. Would love to see more. Any pics during assembly etc?

  2. #2ADMSWELDING2006-01-13 04:04

    Yeah,Here,s a photo of the heel cut off and the inital fit up.Of the new 5/8 heel plate. :salute

  3. #3xkvator2006-01-14 07:43

    Welcome...nice job...we like pictures :drinkup

  4. #4bigbucket2006-01-14 13:30

    Looks like some skillful welding! Were you able to buy the heel plate like that or did you have to bend it yourself?

  5. #5ADMSWELDING2006-01-14 19:35

    Had a local fab shop roll it to match a template i made of cardboard.

  6. #6bigbucket2006-01-16 21:23

    When you burned the back of the bucket out, did you use a regular cutting torch, or did you use an air-arc?

  7. #7ADMSWELDING2006-01-17 04:32

    Regular cutting torch #3 tip and a steady hand.

  8. #8lgammon2007-04-03 00:23

    kinda makes me feel bad we always just weld a few leaf springs off some old truck on our backhoe buckets and try to just weld them over the holes....well i guess dad may have tought me some bad habits

  9. #9equipment fan2007-04-03 07:43

    you did a great job:thumbsup

  10. #10CM19952007-04-03 07:53

    Good job on the welding. A little yellow paint and it will be as good as new

  11. #11nedly052007-04-03 12:35

    kinda makes me wanna rebuid a bucket! NICE JOB!!:thumbsup

  12. #12ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 16:36

    Thanks guys,not to many people appreciate good work glad to see my talent is not gone unnoticed.:Banghead

  13. #13kamerad472007-04-03 16:38

    They make bucket rebuilbing kits.

  14. #14nedly052007-04-03 18:04

    who is they? we need to do our 410-D......badly.

  15. #15ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 18:13

    They is me They is your local welder and some AR400 plate or T1 steel.Unless your refering to a bucket lip or shanks them you can get from your local dealer or out my way i usally use genalco they are on the web also.

  16. #16nedly052007-04-03 20:27

    You can make your own wear strips, and they'd be the same as the dealer sells, and for a meer fraction of the cost!!

  17. #17ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 20:39

    :exactly ,Those strips are AR400 wearbar 1"x3" i get the bar stock from my steel supplier in 20' lengths.

  18. #18ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 20:48

    Few more Here,s a few of a 48"Lemac bucket i did last april, off a 200 komatsu.With a new esco front lip and shanks.

  19. #19nedly052007-04-03 21:01

    I enjoy doing metal work. Do you use arc or mig? You do a very nice job with those buckets:thumbsup

  20. #20ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 21:23

    I run lincoln innersheild wire in my Miller S32 wire feeder in the shop i run it off a Miller Dimension 652. On my mobile rig i run it off one of my two engine drive both millers i have a Trailblazer 300d and a Big Blue 402d.Also yeah i,m a Miller guy, no red lincolns:notworthy All millers 5 to date.Here,s a shot my rig a 04 550 6.0psd i built the deck.The other is a photo of a 950 cat loader wearbars i did and replaced some floor sections that were worn.

  21. #21digger242j2007-04-03 21:32

    No welder worth his salt drives around with a deck that somebody else built. It's just not done! :spaz Having redone a few of my own buckets, I can appreciate your work there. It certainly looks prettier than mine... :notworthy

  22. #22ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 21:44

    Thanks Thanks digger yeah i have done more my share of bucket repair.I wish i could run these machines someday but for now i make my livin fix,em.:duhThe last one for tonite my old rig and me with a 300 komatsu in the mud.The deck is a sales tool lots of people come up to me in coffee shop parking lots and comment on the nice deck and ask for a card so it was worth the 200 plus hrs i spent fabricating it.

  23. #23Jeff D.2007-04-03 21:51

    ADMSWELDING, do you ever get called to thaw water pipes with your mobil welding rig? Seems like it happens around here, welders thawing frozen lines, and I've noticed it advertised as a service by some of the welders in the area. Very nice looking work!:thumbsup

  24. #24ADMSWELDING2007-04-03 21:57

    Yes i have done it before around here but one needs to be very careful make sure the electrical panel is not grounded to the water line if not sure put a piece of wood in between where you split them in the house before the meter so the current will not travel down the line and cause a fire i have seen this happen before.:OMG ops

  25. #25nedly052007-04-04 05:40

    We have a lincoln buzz box on the floor in the shop, it's gettin old sometimes it makes a funny noise and you can't strike an arc, you hafta go over and kick it, thats sets it straight. We also have a big miller portable welder, I am unsure of the name but it is a very nice welder. It has a generator built in, and all sorts of fancy features. I think you can even hook up a wire spool for a mig on it. I like that on a lot, I do everything out side the shop with that. I can't complain about that old lincoln though, it keeps pluggin' I built a log rack to go inside my dump box so I can haul logs and not hurt my box, it ran like a top for that whole job. I asked the guy who taught me to weld one time what the duty cycle was. he says "it's fifty%" I sad "but you weld steady and never give it a break" to which he replys "I weld all day with it and let it sit all night" :beatsme oh wel, the old bugger still works, although I think a new (blue) one is in the not too distant future.

  26. #26itsgottobegreen2007-04-04 10:40

    I run nothing but millers. Whats the point of the two engine driven welders on 1 truck.

  27. #27ADMSWELDING2007-04-04 17:32

    Never down n out It,s not uncommon for me and another guy to be welding at the same time on two different pieces of equipment.Last week in the qaurry i work at he was welding on the crusher i was welding on a 980 wheel-loader.Also is very good to have a backup, if one should fail while far from shop or late at night and need to get the job done.:wink2

  28. #28kamerad472007-04-05 16:59

    The kits I was talking about was from esco. The guy that works for a contractor was weld a bucket for a pc400 , he had a pallet with T-1 steel heel plates on it. I ask him where he gets them the owner orders them.

  29. #29Truckie2007-04-05 18:25

    NICE JOB!!:notworthy :thumbsup :drinkup

  30. #30ADMSWELDING2007-04-05 19:27

    Thanks Truckie, I try my best.:cool2 :usa