Guys, Just on the hunt for further info about the reliability of CAT C32 engines. Have you heard any bad stories about the engines failing after a complete overhaul. I was told the other day that these engines do not cope with being rebuilt very well and quite often fail after the rebuild. I can't remember the figures I was quoted about the failure rate but its very high (that's if what I've been told is true). Apparently if the cope with 200hrs use after being rebuilt they are good for the long run. I was also told that our local CAT dealer won't rebuild them and are sending them out to a contractor so they are responsible if it goes bang after the overhaul. This is all due to the increased power figures the engines are being asked to cope with, they are producing a lot more power than when they first being produced. It just seems a bit strange to me that CAT will sell the spare parts when there is a possible flaw with this engine that they should be addressing. Any way I won't go on much longer just interested in any info or stories you may have.
All absolute crap. A low hour failure after a rebuild is usually atributed to 2 things, poor parts or poor workmanship, neither of which is a reflection of the engine itself. If you build the engines to specification, follow reuseability guidelines you should not have a drama. The dealer sending work out to a contractor to reduce the risk? this dealer just laid off 350 people, don,t think they would be sending any work out they could not handle themselves.
Ok thanks for your reply Gavin. I'd be inclined to agree with you, and my thoughts were the same but I wanted to do some more research before it could be attributed to possible poor workmanship. Not good news about the dealer laying off 350 people.