Looks like we are approved for a new wheel loader purchase. We have 99% decided on the new Cat 950K Power Package model. Loader will be used in a composting operation where we use it to stockpile materials, move pre and post process material and will also be used to turn compost windrows. Minimal truck loading though overall. It will also be used for road work, rock, etc at the onsite C&D landfill.I've always been a Deere guy for loaders as they have always been the fastest, quietest most comfortable machine. My current loader is the 624K model and it, while nice, has not been very reliable in the 3000hrs since new. 3 axles, (heat related seal failures when brand new, axle coolers fixed that) various electrical problems, hydraulic sensor failures, turbo failure and a spun main bearing. Machine is not abused and well maintained. Maybe we go one built on a Tuesday after labor day? Who knows. Anyway, after a week long demo of the 950K I have been converted - We had planned the next machine to be a Deere 644 with lever steer. JD still keeps a regular steering wheel in the lever steer arrangement so we could go back and forth. The cat 950K does not have lever steer available, just the command control. I've never operated a machine with with CC so I would like some feedback on it. Windrow turning is a lot of steering wheel work so 70 degree steering is sounding very nice. (love the FNR on the joystick on our current machine) Dealer is looking for a current model CC machine but has not found one yet for me to try out. Anyway, I would love to get some feedback from those of you with some time on one and let me know your thoughts. thanks!
950K is a nice machine. I am not an operator but get to run all the different Cat loaders, I like the CC but after using the new stick steer with force feedback in the 966K/972K it is a huge improvement on the old stick steer. I guess it comes down to what you are using it for, along with operator preference. I wouldn't have a problem having this as my office.
I never like going back to a normal wheel after running command control, its great. Takes some getting used to though.
They can be touchy at first, because part of the idea is you don't have to turn the wheel as much to get a reaction from the steering, but once you get used to it, it is very easy. I ran a 980h with it, and the FNR is all in the CC so your hand never left the wheel. I wouldn't mind trying out the new K-series with the stick steer some time though.
Jim, the dealer does not want me to try anything other than the new K model CC. Says it's improved over previous CC systems. Finding one in Oregon seems to be a problem. Having had the FNR on the joystick for a few years I'm used to that part. What surprises me is Cat doesn't have any description/explanation of it on their site or anywhere else for that matter. I too would love to try out stick steer and wish they offered it in the 950 series.
This machine uses Command Control steering. With this type of steering system, the turning speed of the machine does not depend on the turning speed of the steering wheel. Instead, the turning speed of the machine depends on the rotational position of the steering wheel in relation to the non-engine end frame. The pilot control valve is located on the non-engine end frame and the steering wheel is located on the engine end frame. The NEUTRAL position of the steering wheel is directly related to the angle of the front frame. Whenever the machine is in the STRAIGHT AHEAD position the NEUTRAL position for the steering wheel is also straight ahead. Whenever the front frame of the machine is pointed to the left, the NEUTRAL position for the steering wheel will be pointed to the left. Whenever the front frame of the machine is pointed to the right, the NEUTRAL position for the steering wheel is also pointed to the right. Turn the steering wheel to the right or to the left and hold the steering wheel in that position. The machine will articulate until the angle of the non-engine end frame and the angle of the steering wheel are identical. As the angle of the non-engine end frame nears the held position (NEUTRAL position) of the steering wheel, the speed of articulation will slow down. The machine will then stop articulating when the NEUTRAL position is reached. The steering wheel will remain in the NEUTRAL position and the machine will remain at the current angle of the articulation
Lee, Thanks! Does it also telescope as well as tilt?
Command Control Steering (22) Steering Control (23) Telescopic Control for the Steering Wheel (24) Transmission Control (25) Tilt Control for the Steering Wheel
Lee, Very cool, Thank you! I will love having the telescope if we do decide to go with CC. I do wish Cat would take Deere's lead and put the tilt on the floor. That is a feature I will really miss on the Cat. I'm in and out of the loader frequently so it makes it quick and easy to tilt the wheel forward with just a press on the foot pedal.
I got the chance to try out a Command Control machine yesterday. I don't know if it was a fair comparison since it had a 15yd rollout bucket and implement controls (Joystick guy here) so I was REALLY out of my usual comfort zone. while I was generally ok with it and knew I would get used to it over time I think I am going to go with the standard steering wheel setup. If we were going to be running it 8 hours a day day in and day out by one operator I would probably go with the command control. As it is there are a couple other part timers that will operate the machine on occasion, and the steering wheel setup would likely be a lot more friendly.
I agree, a regular steering wheel is better for everyone. Command control is for production, like loading trucks all day. It can be touchy in tight areas.
I really like the CC for working in the pit and loading trucks, but with the 980H we have, its almost too touchy for 4 gear. I think a road speed option would be great for these to reduce the jerky feel at high speed. Does the K series have this option?
Cat has fixed the touchy steering at speeds. Coming 4th quarter 2012 is the availability of an electrohydraulic (EH) steering wheel system for Cat® Wheel Loaders 966K-980K direct from the factory. Additionally retrofit kits will be available for the joystick and steering wheel systems on these wheel loaders, so dealers and equipment owners can change systems as required. The electro-hydraulic steering wheel senses ground speed and automatically adjusts steering effort to improve controllability and comfort at higher speeds. Full machine articulation can be accomplished by rotating the wheel approximately 330°. This compares to conventional steering wheels, which can require two-and-one-half to five or more full turns to achieve full articulation. Electro-Hydraulic (EH) Joystick Steering with Force Feedback (Speed Sensitive) The industry leading EH joystick steering system combines operator comfort and precision control to provide a sustainable work environment for the operator. The system incorporates a force feedback motor that automatically adjusts the effort needed to tilt the ergonomic joystick based on ground speed, resulting in superior control in all applications and climates. For customers who prefer a steering wheel, an electro-hydraulic steering wheel is available as an option.