2004 Cat CS 533E ASL 169 I need to find 2 rear wheels. The wheels on it are original with the original tires and both are need of replacement. The tires are obviously well past service life but still hold air but are leaking the water ballast. Over the years the water ballast has apparently deteriorated the inside of the wheels as the beads are rusted badly and probably won't take the seat of a new tire. Cat wants $1500 a piece + tax, however they are available in Mobile, AL or the DC in Atlanta. I've found tires for $1100-1500 each. Anyone know of a good aftermarket source for these wheels? Part # 343-4268
See if you can get hold of them from a Topy agent. Topy manufacture all the wheel rims for Cat so you'll probably be able to buy the identical part much cheaper. In fact if you look closely at your existing rims you may well find a Topy logo on them somewhere. OTR Wheels – Topyamerica topyamerica.com EDIT: There's this one ............. https://aftermarket.express/caterpillar/3434268
Awesome! Thanks Nige! With shipping it's a little more than $1000 less.
These guys can make any wheel you need. They do good work and are local to me. HEY WHEEL HOME-WHEELS, RIMS, AIRCRAFT TIRES FOR AG USE "Hey Machinery Company Inc. wheels, rims, aircraft tires and more for agricultural and non-highway use." heywheel.com
@CM1995 , if your planning to keep the packer for awhile and the tires need to be ballasted again, I'd highly recommend Rimguard or similar beet juice ballast.
Thanks hvy. I'm not familiar with beet juice. Guessing that's something you guys use in the big tractors? Whatever is in there is what Cat put in at the factory. Have to admit I am not that well versed with larger tires and liquid ballast. The tires on our 533 have lasted 20 years with no issue. Actually thought we would have to change the shell kit before the tires.
Beet juice won't eat wheels like most of the other ballast options. If Cat put it in, it was probably calcium chloride which has been the death of many a tractor rim.
I picked up a recent JD ag tractor, lightly corroded valve stems and sure enough, calcium in the tires, I'm thinking of pumping out the calcium, flush it with a few clear water rinses and refill with beet juice versus pulling the tire off. The wheels are factory powder coat and are covered on the inside but I just hate calcium as it always seems to find a way. Beet juice sure stinks sometimes and it'll gum up a pressure gauge if you're not careful but haven't ever seen a hint of corrosion with it.. I know a nice dirt road that would love a few hundred gallons of calcium and water sprinkled on it as it gets done annually anyway. I'm thinking a couple rinse and drive cycles wouldn't leave much behind. I have a small garden hose 12v rubber vane pump from HFT, it will pull a decent vacuum wet and will move a few gpm, I've used that and the Slime tractor fluid adapter to pump beet juice before, just needs a good clear water rinse after you're done else it gets gummy. Not as nice as the super cool air powered fluid pumps but super cheap works.
Thought I'd update this thread. 3rd party equipment dealer priced out the wheels, tires, mounting, install in the field and disposal of the old wheels and tires for $6800. So the $1500 or so saved over going with aftermarket wheels basically paid for the shipping, delivery to the job site, install and disposal. Not bad IMO. I'm happy with that. Now since the machine is a 2004 (bought new) with the original wheels and tires we got all the good out of them over the last 26 years.
Didn't know this but CNH Capital offers a revolving line of credit with 6 months interest free. The dealer I am buying the wheels from is also a Case dealer. We signed up and will be able to spread that $6800 over 6 months interest free! I love using other peoples money for free.
Got them put on today. Looks like a new machine!