Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat CS533E vibratory issues

CM1995 ยท 2014-05-13 20:09

Cat CS533E ASL 150-200 serial number range. 2600 hours A couple of issues - The high side vibrate won't engage. The switch on the operator station seemed to be sticking on the high side so replaced it, didn't fix it. Low vibrate works. There are a handful of relays in the fuse box. Checked vibrate fuse (only one) and it was good. Is there a relay for the high and low vibrate? The diagram doesn't label the relays. Second and more serious issue. We have been using the machine steady for the last three days. This morning during the walk around we noticed there was what seemed like oily dirt on the one factory hole on the inside of the drum. This was what it looked like this afternoon, it became much worse. I need some help as I know very little about the vibratory system and what could be causing this. My limited mechanical mind tells me the high side vibrate issue is electrical and the leak in the drum is not related to the problem.:beatsme I went to the online Cat parts diagram system and when I clicked on the drum/vibrate system it said "no documents match your search". There is also a small fuel leak at the pump and a hyd. leak at the for end of the hyd. pump but not bad enough to break it down yet. Poor b*****d of a machine shakes itself to death. Any help is appreciated as it has to complete this job, with or without vibration. We can use it as just a static compactor with no vibration until I can get it back to the shop for more "invasive" repairs.

Replies15
  1. #1Chisumtrail2014-05-13 21:02

    For looking up parts try with just ASL and not the whole serial number. Looks like it should have a plug in the hole from looking at parts, if it is a smooth drum.

  2. #2CM19952014-05-13 21:19

    Thanks Chisumtrail, that worked. Nothing came up when I searched it on my equipment list in the database but just ASL brought up the CS533E diagrams. Looks like 2 days worth of work to replace a $20 seal. 129-9124 might be the culprit?

  3. #3truecountry2014-05-13 21:46

    I just finished working on a Cs433 As for the switch in cab their was 2 on the 433 one toggle and one thumb button for low and high vibe on transmission shifter forward and reverse Check see if any wires are cracked and touching as shorting out such.... someone had twisted 2 of the wires on 433 together so thumb didn't work .CANT FIGURE WHY?...Now if machine wasn't in high speed it would beat the hell out of you and machine In high speed toggle and vibe in high it floated Now the oil hmmmmmmmmm are you adding any hydraulic fluid?

  4. #4CM19952014-05-13 21:56

    No, haven't added any hyd. fluid. We keep an eye on the upper sight glass to make sure oil is showing. There is a small hyd. leak on the front end of the pump, under the operator station but it's slow. It's on the fore most end of the pump, under the steering column. There are no leaks at the lines or drive motor on the outside of the drum. This is coming from inside the drum housing. The thumb switch on the joystick works but engages the vibration in low only.

  5. #5rmllarue912014-05-13 22:03

    Clean and inspect bearings and shafts good seals usually fail because of oil being gritty due to extended change intervals or the seals get hard due to over heating in my experience have seen over heated gear boxes were seals wear into shafts because of over heated oil bad bearings due a number on seals lol also sit down when you see the price of cat compactor oil

  6. #6Cmark2014-05-14 01:51

    Your oily drum is because a level plug has fallen out. Cat calls this compartment "drum cooling oil". There is no changeout interval on the oil. Seeing as how you've lost some, you should probably start from scratch with refilling it. Park it on a side slope and drain what's left. Then refill it with 5.6 US gallons of hydraulic oil. Part number for the plug is 5P4484 and a 7M8485 O ring. Now the vibration. Does it have the variable frequency option, identifiable by a rotary knob on the RH console and a gauge on the dash? Edit. It's possible that the high speed has been locked out. If you have access to SIS, look on the schematic for note B. If not, drop me a PM and I can email you a copy if you like.

  7. #7CM19952014-05-14 08:36

    Thanks Cmark. I thought the oil was just used for coolant inside the eccentric "housing". The lines nor the motor is leaking on the outside. I remembered reading there was no change interval on this oil. I have never broke down a vibratory compactor drum before and wasn't really sure how it was put together inside. This is on the right hand hand side of the machine, or at least the oil is coming out on that side. So how do you get to the plug #1 on the diagram? It's on the inside of the drum if I'm looking at this correctly. It doesn't have the variable knob, just a toggle switch that has high, neutral (none) and low. No gauge to show vibration. I don't have access to SIS but PM sent. Thanks!

  8. #8CM19952014-05-14 09:02

    OK - bear with me here. As I have never taken the innards of the drum apart before is the cooling oil just inside the drum? I see the plug 5P4484 (1-7) in the diagram and it is missing. I was thinking the eccentric was filled with oil as the same plug is listed in that assembly as well.

  9. #9Cmark2014-05-14 16:28

    Yes, you've got it. Plug #1 is missing and you've lost some cooling oil. The eccentric weight housings are different compartments altogether. Interesting point; The eccentric weight housings contain synthetic gear oil. Next time you check the level, you'll notice it has a unique feel and smell. This is the pricey oil that rmllarue91 was referring to. If the cost makes your eyes water too much, I'm pretty sure it is one of the Mobil SHC series with a Cat label on it, but I'm not sure which grade. Maybe 632? I'll send you that schematic.

  10. #10CM19952014-05-14 17:24

    Thanks Cmark! I got the email I run Cat spec 10W hyd oil, will that suffice for the cooling drum oil? Haven't been able to find a spec on it. We are in the Southeast US so we worry more about heat than cold. The high side vibrate was working fine up until now. In the past I replaced the toggle switch for the vibration due to corrosion of the switch and it fixed the issue. Is it common for the solenoid on the pump to go out?

  11. #11Cmark2014-05-14 18:00

    Yep, Cat HYDO or equivalent is the spec for the drum cooling oil. I've had problems with park brake solenoids on these before, never a problem with the two speed. (But that's just in my experience. Doesn't mean it never happens). If you follow the schematic, you'll see the wiring looks simple. Just 24v from the switch to the solenoid. No tedious mucking about with ECMs or PWM feeds in this one. :thumbsup The only problem is you might have to lift the cab to get access to the pumps. Not something to be undertaken lightly on these machines.

  12. #12CM19952014-05-14 18:46

    Now what you mean on the parking brake switch. Already replaced that on the operator console, not the solenoid yet.. My next plan of action is to test the voltage from the switch to the solenoid to see if it's just a broke/damaged wire. Like I said, these poor bastards do shake themselves to death. On a side note, this machine is open cab, the only one piece of heavy iron in our fleet that doesn't have one. Can't help but think that 10 years of exposure to the elements on the (rather limited - thank God.) electronics has had it's toll. The next roller will have an enclosed cab with A/C - couldn't run it without it. I do like the simplicity, electronic wise of this machine.

  13. #13gem19712020-11-17 21:20

    Can anyone help me what is the operating pressure of the vibratory pump?

  14. #14Cmark2020-11-18 00:55

    It will vary with operating conditions, vibration amplitude and temperature, but no more than around 11000 kPa.

  15. #15CM19952020-11-18 19:28

    Wow this is an old thread. For anyone interested the 533E just packed over 1,000 CY of structural fill this week. BTW - Cmark thanks for the help back then and now.