Can anyone tell me where the serial number is located on my dozer? I think it’s 73-77 but the plate is gone out from under the operator station and I can’t find a stamp on it anywhere.
Can you post a couple of photos of the tractor.? It would be easier to direct you where to look using photos of your own tractor. Have you tried looking for a Serial Number on the engine.?
Based on the engine Serial Number it appears that you have an early D3 tractor built prior to the introduction of the "B" models which around the 1979 time frame. The Serial Number prefix of your tractor should be either 06N or 79U. Build of those two models started in 1973 with engine Serial Numbers starting at 45V17160. The info I can find regarding the location of the tractor Serial Number appears to show that it is located on the bevel gear case. See illustration below which is the best I could find.
Thank you!! I looked for hours.
You'll need someone with access to date information that I don't have to come up with a year of manufacture, but the Serial Number will be all you need to get parts & service information for it. Do you have any manuals for it yet.? You really need an O&M (Publication Reference SEBU6443) plus possibly a Parts Manual (UEG0652S) as well.
Looks like it's had and engine change. A 45V18639 DI engine came in at 45V17160 (1978). If I'm reading that stamped s/n correctly 79U1319 (1974) would have a PC engine. s/n locations....
Not a bad thing having a DI engine. Easier starting for one.
Good point and thanks for reminding me. I forgot to include my usual caveat of "provided the engine is the original". Apparently there was a 3204 DI engine upgrade for a range of models including the D3. D3 tractors with Serial Numbers 79U1-4708, that were originally equipped with a 4N169 PC engine arrangement with Serial Numbers between 45V333-17159, could be upgraded to a DI engine of 7N3800 arrangement that was introduced from S/N 45V17160-Up. Maybe this is what happened in this case.? If the upgrade on this particular machine was kosher factory/dealer it should have also been retrofitted with an ether starting aid at the same time.
That's interesting the DI was optional. Cat must have wanted to use up the last of the PC engines.
The engine has been replaced on it. I just recently picked it up but I’m going to have to rebuild the transmission I believe. It’s going to need all the pins for the blade.
If you plan on doing the transmission strip and rebuild yourself then a Service Manual (REG01357) is probably also going to be on your shopping list in addition to the O&M & Parts Manuals I mentioned above. The good thing is that a Service Manual, provided that it is complete, contains an O&M Manual (it's referred to as a Lubrication & Maintenance Guide) in the binder with all the rest of the information. I would suggest to ALWAYS ask online sellers of used Service Manuals the question "is it complete.?" because you want that section, and the information it contains, without having to buy it separately. Here's one on eBay . New price for the same thing is $550.
What is the transmission doing? Is it a 3F/1R or 3F/3R? If the 1R have you checked the screen for particles or the filter if the 3R? I'm somewhat guessing the transmission is similar to the B models but should be some simple things to check before completely tearing it apart.