5k500496 I don't deal with many of these older cat trucks. But a client of mine is using this one. I have had to replace a few hoses, repair brake lines, reseal cylinders, etc. Had a nasty day up the mountain yesterday to replace a hydraulic hose that turned into a nightmare because I was left stranded in the mud and stuck. Operators left me there to die. Even knowing that they had to pull me out of the mud so I could go get parts earlier in the day. ****** ranch roads actually damaged the service body on my work truck. I don't want to go back, but I have to. The problem is, now only the front axle (the one below the cab) is engaging and the other two (rear axles below the dump box) are not. It actually got stuck in the same swamp I did yesterday. About twenty feet from where it died because of the bad hose. I don't even know how to start trying to figure this out.
It's actually 5KS00496. See the attachment. I think I would be looking in the bottom of the transfer case if it was me, but that could possibly require major surgery to get at it.
Thanks, Nige. I am pretty sure that this is a dumb question. The operator said he thought it was a wire or switch. I have spent about zero time in the cab. Is there a function of front wheel drive? I apologize if the answer is in the pdf. It is still printing. I am also wondering how I will ever be able to tell if I have the rear wheels working when it is on dry ground, which makes me wonder if they ever worked and nobody knew because they never got the front wheels to spin in mud. It was pretty spectacular mud. My work truck is usually about 10 tons and I usually don't have to even use four wheel drive. The two times on Wednesday is pretty much half of all the times I have gotten stuck in this truck in twenty years.
A switch and a push button on the floor of the cab. See attached.
Wow, really? So.... It wasn't a dumb question. If I didn't know that, it's guaranteed the operated didn't.
That's all provided the system is working as designed........... For around $50 talk the customer into downloading an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They might just learn a few things.
Hawaii is a fascinating place, post some pics!
Just an update. Went up to try to figure out what was going on a couple of weeks ago. An operator was there and said that if they messed with the wiring from one of the switches it would work for a bit. Thing is; the switch wiring that they were playing with was not either the diff lock or the inter differential lock. I am not sure what it is, I will post a pic below
Just an update. Went up to try to figure out what was going on a couple of weeks ago. An operator was there and said that if they messed with the wiring from one of the switches it would work for a bit. Thing is; the switch wiring that they were playing with was not either the diff lock or the inter differential lock. I am not sure what it is, I will post a pic below
So I just pointed out the right two switches (thanks, Nige!) And haven't heard a problem yet. Well... Other than the one I am about post a question about.
I think that is a transmission lock/hold switch of some sort going from the pictographic symbol next to it. Where exactly is it located in the cab.? Your photo is so close up it lacks location context. Also if you can get the switch out of the panel take a look at the wires colours & numbers that come into the back of it, or in fact if there is a Part Number on the switch.
That doesn't seem to be the same layout in real life. But it seems to be right where the 24 volt cigar lighter is (#41) in your picture. Keep in mind that this is probably a grey market machine. A lot of german.
It's a 5KS . They were all built in the same plant in the UK and sold worldwide. Not a grey market machine AFAIK. Unless it's an attachment that Zeppelin the German dealer came up with..... I certainly can't find a switch that looks like that in either the O&M or parts manual. It's going to need either a P/N off the switch or some wire numbers/colours from the wiring behind it to track it down. It does appear to be an OEM Cat switch though, so at least we have that going for us.