Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3b slow reverse

Calebww90 ยท 2016-05-29 17:59

Ok I just got a D3b and it works fine all 3 forward gears all 3 reverse Gerard until I've been using it for a couple hours, reverse gets slower and slower engaging....any ideas?

Replies16
  1. #1wosama931b2016-05-30 10:49

    Sounds like something is out of adjustment, are all 3 reverse slow? Do you have the clutch adjustment correct, look over the linkage to see if it's moving correctly , and that you have any leaks, and always the filters. Don't forget about the screen filter in the bottom, good luck, sam.

  2. #2Calebww902016-05-30 16:41

    The speed itself is fine...as the machine is used more it's slower to engage in reverse but once it does the speed is fine

  3. #3Nige2016-05-30 16:43

    How long is it since you last changed the oil & filters in the transmission and did you remove the screens & inspect them for particles at the same time..? What oil are you using..?

  4. #4Calebww902016-05-30 18:21

    I just got it Saturday morning...don't know the full history...been around equipment just not many dozers..

  5. #5Nige2016-05-31 03:25

    In that case I suggest you do 2 things: - 1. Get an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They are available from https://servicemanualpro.com/ - simply plug in your machine Serial Number to get the correct version. About $35 on CD or $45 for a paper version. The best money you'll ever spend. 2. Change the transmission oil and filters. Look closely when you drain the oil. Is it clear and bright or opaque..? Remove and clean the screens. Take photos of and keep any particles you find.

  6. #6Calebww902016-05-31 18:26

    I had went to that same website and it showed my service manual on CD being $330.00 and paper being $545.00...could it be a typo?

  7. #7Scrub Puller2016-05-31 19:01

    Yair . . . Probably not, a few years back I had to pay six hundred bucks for a workshop manual for a 16hp ford 1210. Cheers.

  8. #8JS3002016-05-31 22:02

    Try ebay. I got a manual on CD for $75.

  9. #9Nige2016-06-01 03:40

    I was referring to an Operation & Maintenance Manual, not a service manual. The O&MM options are always right at the bottom of the list. The prices I quoted are correct for an O&MM. The O&MM is what should be in the pocket behind the seat but never is on used machines, it usually disappeared long ago. It contains all you will need to do the correct maintenance & periodic checks of a machine plus a lot more besides. Genuine service manuals are not cheap. A lot of what is on eBay are knock-off copies of originals. Occasionally a bargain will pop up but IMHO eBay sellers realised a long time ago what manuals are worth and started to price them accordingly. Bargains are few and far between these days, looking at eBay right now there is an incomplete manual for $130 (*** use is that because the missing sections are always going to be the ones you really need), the rest are $300+. I must admit I am always surprised at people who are quite willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a machine then jib at paying $3-500 for a complete "how to" repair & troubleshooting manual which in all honesty is probably the same price as 3-5 hours of labour for a dealer technician. You can save more than that buying the manual if it saves you even 1 dealer callout for troubleshooting a problem. Looking at it a different way, the manual could be considered an asset just like the machine. If the machine was ever sold in the future a well cared-for manual could likely be sold separately for the same price as you paid for it.

  10. #10Mike AL2016-06-05 11:47

    I'm no expert or a mechanic, but had a similar problem with a 1986 931b that Bob/Ont helped me with a few years ago. My problem was slow to shift in forward gears after warmed up, sometime would take almost a minute to shift. Like yours after the shift it would push ok. Bob suggested to remove the transmission valve and replace the seals and orifice screen. ( the seals were hard and brittle) That was almost 3 years ago has worked great since. I know you have a D3b, depending on the year it may be similar. Here is the link to the old post maybe it will help. HeavyEquipmentForums One of several problems Bob had helped me with on the 931b.

  11. #11Nige2016-06-05 14:05

    Mike, I agree with your thinking. However as the OP has only just taken ownership of the machine we have to start from the basics. Get an O&M manual, change the oil and filters, clean the screens and check what comes out of them, etc, etc. Once those boxes are ticked then the diagnosis can move forward and start looking into the transmission control linkage and internals of the control valve itself. It's nice to see that the spirit of Bob/Ont is still reaching out to HEF members despite the fact he's no longer with us.

  12. #12Calebww902016-06-05 15:15

    Thanks guys yall have helped a bunch...waiting on my Op&Maintenance Manual in the mail

  13. #13Nige2016-06-05 15:21

    You got the $35 or $45 one I take it ..?

  14. #14Calebww902016-06-05 15:43

    For now I did just to get me started...I'll get the full service manual later

  15. #15Nige2016-06-05 16:56

    Honestly for right now what you have bought will be just fine.

  16. #16Welder Dave2016-06-30 20:14

    Bob was the absolute guru on these smaller machines and could give you better answers over the net or in an e-mail that the dealer or repair shops could.:salute Bob also helped me with numerous repairs that likely saved me hundreds if not thousands of dollars. One of the most knowledgeable and generous people I have ever had the privilege of communicating with.