Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D3C Slow to go in reverse

Homewood35 · 2023-06-08 19:06

I have a D3C 9CL00128 (Gray Market) that every once in awhile when you **** to reverse its won’t engage. I’m guessing it does it once for every hour it’s ran. Any ideas on where to start? It only does it in reverse. I’m trying to head off problems before they get any worse.

Replies19
  1. #1Homewood352023-06-10 12:49

    Bump

  2. #2Nige2023-06-10 13:31

    For service information on your D3C Series III machine you can use info from a 7XL. That was the export model equivalent to the 9CL machine. How is the state of the transmission control linkage & the cables.? Is there much slop in it.? Adjusting and setting the linkage would be my first thought. See attachment. As a matter of interest what oil are you using in the transmission.?

  3. #3Homewood352023-06-10 14:44

    I bought it from a guy that passed away recently but if I remember right I think it has TO4 SAE 30. I’m going to check the linkage late this afternoon

  4. #4Nige2023-06-10 15:07

    That would be fine.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-06-10 23:00

    Does it make a difference if you move the shifter back and forth a little when in reverse? Sounds like an adjustment and/or slightly worn linkage issue. I'm not an expert but wondering if the trans. vent maybe needs to be cleaned and if that could affect shifting?

  6. #6Homewood352023-06-16 13:56

    Usually when it does it I can shift out of reverse and back in and it goes. I’m not sure where the trans vent is so I’ll need to look that up.

  7. #7Nige2023-06-16 14:18

    There are 3 vents on top of the rear case. There will be one in each corner and one somewhere in the middle. The vents are washable with kerosene or diesel.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-06-16 15:11

    There should be a vent/breather right on the transmission. At least there is on a 3F/1R. I would think the 3F/3R would also have one.

  9. #9Homewood352023-06-16 20:26

    Thanks for the help guys. I’m currently replacing the water pump and fixing a couple of other small issues. I’ll almost guarantee the last owner didn’t do any of that. Can thank y’all enough.

  10. #10OzDozer2023-06-16 20:38

    This is what the breather looks like on my Cat 931B steering clutch housing (pretty much identical to the D3, D3B and D3C). There's a similar one on top of the transmission housing. As you can see, they can get pretty degraded with corrosion. From Nige's parts diagram, it appears the breather had a small pipe extension added to it, on the D3C. That's a good idea, I think I'll do that to my 931B. And the other photos are the new breather. The finest Cat quality, of course - Made in China.

  11. #11Nige2023-06-16 20:47

    The #29 pipe is 4"-long with a 1/4" NPTF male thread on each end. The #30 coupling is 1/4" NPT female both ends. Those extensions are only used on the outer two breather, not the centre one.

  12. #12Drag racer2023-06-16 22:57

    My d3c only has the piping is there a breather that screws on those? By the way they were plugged by pesky mud dauber sorry to but in.

  13. #13Nige2023-06-16 23:33

    The breather #31 Part Number is 9G-5127, qty 3. I think the dealer would be the only source. If you don't have the couplers #30 on top of the two standpipes the P/N is 8S-7169 but it is nothing more complicated than a 1/4" female NPT pipe nipple.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-06-17 00:13

    Missing the breathers, I think you'd get a lot of dirt in the compartments.

  15. #15OzDozer2023-06-17 05:24

    IMO, the best breathers were the old style (4H6112 or 1F8488 ), as fitted to the old D6's, D7's, etc. They're still 1/4" NPT thread, but they contain a larger quantity of filtering mesh, and the metal in the filter is a lot thicker, making them a much more robust breather, than the later, light duty 9G5127 breather. However, they do stand quite a bit higher than the 9G5127 filter, so you need to have the room to install them.

  16. #16Drag racer2023-06-17 08:03

    Thanks Nige.

  17. #17Drag racer2023-06-17 08:07

    I agree

  18. #18Nige2023-06-17 10:47

    I agree. The 4H6112 is a more robst breather. The 4H6112 might work in the corners if the 4"-long standpipe was left off.? Not sure it would work on the centre one that has no standpipe.

  19. #19Welder Dave2023-06-17 17:04

    I meant to say a lot of dirt.