Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D3C vs D3C XL Series III

Chrismedaris ยท 2016-09-07 13:33

I'm looking to purchase my first dozer for some farm work. I'm entertaining a deal on what's advertised as a d3c XL series 3. The dealer provided me with the hours and a serial number: 6SL00785. I've researched a bit and found the first three digits indicate model number and final five are production number. So the "6SL" according to a few websites refers to a 1994 D3C. Is the XL series 3 a slightly different model than the basic D3C? Or is this dealer advertising this as something it is not?

Replies1
  1. #1Cmark2016-09-07 16:39

    That machine is indeed a D3C series III, built in October 1994. However it isn't an XL. XL means eXtra Long undercarriage. If you count the track rollers, a standard machine will have 5 per side. An XL machine will have six. **Edit to say I've just found some photos of it on Ebay. Pretty difficult to see, but it DOES look like it has XL undercarriage. Why that would be I can't say.**