I'm looking to change the final drive fluid in my recently acquired CAT D3K2 XL and was wondering if anyone might know the allen head socket size I need to remove the drain and fill plugs. Trying to get the exact size so I don't round out the head. I will need to order the right size as I don't have sockets with allen heads that are that large. Thanks.
According to the book the level plug is a 5/8" hex, the drain plug is 3/4". A regular allen key plus a whack from a hammer to knock them loose.? Don't forget to replace the O-Rings on the plugs. Part Numbers 3D-2824 & 7M-8485 - 2 of each. They have a habit of hardening and as a result you have to beat the snot out of the plug to get it tight enough to stop it leaking.
Thank you very much Nige. Also for the advice on replacing the O-rings. I will be sure to do that now.
5/8 hex for sure. Grab yourself a couple plugs and orings to keep in your spare stock. also to fully change the oil in the final drive if you look under the dozer at the bottom of the final drive housings on each side their are drain plugs at the very bottom of the housings. A lot of people unfamiliar with these dozers miss them. Drain those as well as the normal drain plug.
Thank you for the additional information. I have the hex sockets on order and will be getting some replacement o-rings. Wasn't sure if I understood what other plugs to remove. I have attached an illustration from the Operation and Maintenance Manual. Is there another plug below the one, or in addition to, the one labeled as drain plug. Thanks.
In a pinch, you can take a bolt with a 5/8" hex head (usually a 7/16 bolt) and jam lock a pair of nuts on the other end to give a face for a wrench.
no you need to crawl under the dozer at the rearand look at the inboard side of the final drive housing. All the Ks I have worked on and a lot of the 9x3 series trackloaders have them. If yours doesn’t no problem but it’s something you don’t want to miss it it does.
Thank you. I will make a point to check it now. Appreciate the tip.
Thank you for the idea.