Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4 G injector removal

CenterlineShop · 2022-01-31 14:42

Howdy Gents, hope all are well in this goofy time. So, I am down here in Ecuador, in the mud and humidity trying to pull the injectors from my 2002 D4 g and I am stuck.... This motor, from what I can tell is a rebranded s6s Mitsubishi 6 cyl NA direct injection. The injectors from the top almost look like a "pencil" style, but for the life of me, I can't get them to budge. Cat manual talks about a simple puller with slide hammer....nope. I even fired up the forge and made a special adaptor with some 5160 steel, still nothing. Started to think in the middle of the night, "well may be threaded in", not that I can tell. When I review photos of a new injector from Cat or Mitsubishi, (swirl type) it does not look like what I have. Has anyone had an experience with this year of D4/D5? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies9
  1. #1kshansen2022-01-31 15:04

    Only had to deal with that style a couple times while I was working. They pull straight out or should I say they are suppose to pull straight out! As I recall the ones that were hard to remove needed a lot of good penetrating oil and persuasion of tapping on the side to try to get them to turn a little each way. Also believe I made an adapter to use a slide hammer puller that attached to the fitting for the fuel line. Wish I could give a simple no fail way to get them out. Guess whoever designed them expected you to remove them once a year to keep things from rusting!

  2. #2CenterlineShop2022-01-31 17:42

    Thanks so much, I thought I was missing something. I almost took the valve cover off to see if there was a set screw or something, hahaha. Well, I think I will take the hood off of her. I found some grade 8 metric nuts that fit the thread...put two on as a jamb nut, but was worried I was going to strip the threads off the injector. Thanks for the advice. I will just keep at it.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2022-01-31 18:10

    The s6s engine I've ever worked on they came out with a slide hammer I've heard story's of guys pulling heads off them and beating them out tho

  4. #4Coaldust2022-02-01 01:22

    Sometimes they come out easier if the engine is hot. Penetrating oil helps. A slide hammer almost always works. Might have to sacrifice a fuel inj line for a nut. If the small slide hammer doesn’t work, go bigger.

  5. #5Nige2022-02-01 03:40

    Second the above regarding getting the engine hot before appyling the slide hammer.

  6. #6CenterlineShop2022-02-01 07:38

    Thanks, I will take a second turn at the slide hammer....fingers crossed.

  7. #7CenterlineShop2022-02-01 07:42

    I have a swivel joint on my puller, but I like your cable idea, never thought about that, especially for working around stuff. Thank so much! Yep, I will try getting the engine nice and warm. I have been soaking the injectors for several days. I would much rather take each one slow and not have to remove the head. Thank so much!

  8. #8CenterlineShop2022-02-10 05:56

    Well Guys, sorry it took so long to get back to you...I have been working on these things this long, uggg. I made a walking beam puller with some 1-1/2 square bar, bottle jack and an adaptor from my puller kit. Holy hell, the first one came out after I tore the intake of the injector clean off. Long story short, I battled with drilling and tapping, got four out of six out and then last night I said "screw it"...ordered a new top end gasket set...you know where I am going with that. I started adding up the costs of broken drills, time standing in the rain...cover, uncover and economically it makes more sense to pull the head off. With the amount of hours on this motor, I may as well do a valve job on it while I have it apart. Thanks for all of the input and ideas. Best of luck on any of your projects.

  9. #9Coaldust2022-02-11 01:15

    Thanks for the update.