Howdy all, I just recently purchased a cat d4c ii serial number 7KG00651. I need to add a winch to it. I came across a hyster A31 “Tractor Donkey” winch. What literature I’ve found says they fit a Cat D4, but I assume that to mean much older versions of the cat d4. Does anyone know if that could also be made to work on my d4c? Thanks, John
I don't know about winch fitting but you need to check and see if your tractor has one or two drive shafts between transmission and steering clutch case.
My first dozer arrived tonight! Can't wait to put her to use. Going to go through it and figure out what maintenance it needs first though.
A maintenance manual would be a good idea if you don’t have one yet. You need Cat Publication reference SEBU6373.
Am I able to download a PDF of that from SIS?
if you have access to SIS you can get all the info that is contained in the O&M, but you can only download one topic at a time. The complete manual could be 200+ topics. You can download a pdf copy of the entire manual from the Cat Pubs web site. It's not free though. Put SEBU6373 in the box and click the Search button.
Looks good! Keep up the pictures. Don’t know about everyone else but the pictures never get old. Not to mention, a lot can be seen and evaluated by a good picture.
Ended up buying the operation and maintenance manual PDF from cat. Loaded with good info. Disappointed that is not searchable, and there is no clickable table of contents. For $53 I expected that. Oh well.
It's a pdf. Surely it is searchable using the Adobe search function.? I have a collection of O&M manuals in pdf an all of them are searchable. I just tried on a couple at random to confirm it.
Here is an oldie but a goodie,,, His name is John, Dont call him Shirley. heh heh heh If you dont get it watch the movie == Airplane
I'm getting around to changing all the oils in it. I went to drain the engine oil and accidentally mistook the transmission drain plug for it. Oops. I was confused under the machine as the manual said to remove the crankcase drain access cover, but that cover is missing on my machine. So I saw the access cover for the transmission and assumed that was for the oil. Figured out pretty quickly when the engine dipstick still read full! So now I have to fill it back up the transmission oil. The chart in the operators manual shows: While 15w40 will cover my temperature operating range here in western NC, there isn't a weight listed for the transmission oil that will cover ~5F to 95F. I will be using this machine here and there, not running it every day. Do I need to plan on changing the oil in the winter, or is there a 10w30 tdto?
Personally I would put SAE30 TO-4 in it all year round for your location. Don’t take those ambient temperature ranges as hard & fast limits.
Is sae30 to4 cat oil the same thing as tdto?
TDTO is the Cat-branded oil for drive trains but it also meets TO-4 specification. The TO-4 specification was developed by Cat for drive train oils. Any commercial product that is destined to be used in Cat power trains really needs to meet TO-4 spec if they want to sell it.
Curious if a to2 oil would be sufficient for this tractor or is a to4 required? Not sure what the spec was back in 1992 when the tractor was made. Can’t find any shops open on a weekend with to4 in stock, but plenty of the transmission hydraulic oils from Walmart or tractor supply meet to2 spec.
My advice would not be to buy anything that has farm, tractor, or universal in either the name of the product or of the shop that is selling it. TO-2 is a spec that was superseded by TO-4 about 40 years ago.
I'm starting to reseal all the cylinders. Saved the back a bit getting this gland loose on the angle cylinder with the help of my mini x: Can someone provide the rebuild instructions for the hydraulic cylinders? I'm doing the lift and angle cylinders. Particularly just need the torque specs for the piston bolt and gland, but the full instructions would be awesome. My seal kit didn't come with the wear ring in the head of the cylinder. Is it typical to not replace this, or should I order it separately? Part #20 in the diagram, 4T-6780.
Was the seal kit OEM.? I would have expected the fibre wear ring to be part of it. Really needs to be replaced when doing a re-seal. I’ll look up the torque specs. From memory there are no “full instructions” for cylinder D&A but I will double check.
The wear ring on the piston is included. The wear ring in the head isn’t. It’s an aftermarket seal kit, but the cat parts website also says their seal kit doesn’t include it. The wear ring is $8.50 and in stock locally, so I’ll pick up 4 of them tomorrow.
Found out why. Early versions of the cylinder did not have wear rings in the head, only later ones did. Seal kit Part Number is the same for both versions. Hence the ring does not appear in the kit.
Thanks again Nige. Resealed both angle cylinders and one of the lift cylinders. The other lift cylinder looks like it has a newer wiper seal and isn't leaking, so I'm going to run that as is. Now onto adjusting my steering and brakes. The left side functions just fine. With a normal amount of pedal travel you can hold the left track just fine. The right track is out of adjustment. You have to push full force with the right pedal and only just at the end of its travel does it release the right track. Does anyone have some advice on how to go about adjusting these? Thanks! John
There is a little cover by the lever on clutch compartment under the cover is the brake adjustment turn it down tight then back it out 12 clicks check pedal for 3 inches of free play. It’s normal for right pedal to be low with a right handed operator
Found it, dialed it into 3in of free play. I'll test it out tomorrow!