Hi gentlemen . I have a very unique problem . The d4d I have has a cracked steering clutch hsg in this case it is also the rear main frame . I've talked with a local welder that has done a similar repair on a newer d6 , his exact words " not as bad as this set of cracks " in total about 30 " of cracks . The repair lasted at least 3 yrs , then the owner sold the machine . I've been looking for a used hsg but so far none . All the wreckers take out all the smaller parts & scrap the main hsg . The failure came from the right final drive pinion & bull gear , bull gear broke a tooth & broken tooth got caught between the gear & pinion . Pushing the inside bearing down . My question is , has anyone changed out 1 of these hsgs , with the original # or 1 of the newer hsgs ? My current part # 5k7839 , next serial # break 6k4663 & this 1 changes up to 8k7573 . Then this one changes up to an oil bath steering clutch 8k7577 . All the people at the local cat dealer that would of known this stuff are now retired . Anyone been involved with this sort of repair ? Thanks retired farmer
I didn't have any luck finding the steering clutch case 5K7839 for sale anywhere. I'd say you're going to have to find one from a wrecker or even better would be to find a parts machine to buy. Here are some more wreckers that have D4D's for parts: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...ETID=3&Manu=CATERPILLAR&Mdltxt=D4D&mdlx=exact
You could also look for a 6K-2176 Case. This is listed as "Field Replacement for 5K-7839 Case" for early D4D machines of 20J prefix. 6K-2176 is shown as changing up to the oil bath case 8K-7577 (as does 6K-4663 & 8K-7573). Will the 8K-7577 Case fit your machine even though yours doesn't have an oil bath..?
That is one of my questions is how much will have to be changed to make everything fit ? I think my case 5k7839 , changes up to 8k8091 but there are about 15 items hot be added , brg & hub so now is there machining involved with this brg . I 'm thinking a lot of research is going to be involved before any purchase is made. Unless I'm lucky enough to find my hsg . I will check out machinery trader . Thanks
5K-7839 Case As is listed as part of the 4K-5036 Steering Clutch Case & Covers Group for early D4D tractors Serial Number Range 20J1 thru 516. I'll have to look at how the progression of that group goes. The problem is that the source I'm using for my information does not recognize the 78A prefix and I have no idea why. Maybe either you or Old Magnet has a paper Parts Manual that you can check for the Group Part Number where the 5K-7839 is listed and post it here..?
I have a paper copy for 78a . Reading a lot of it is difficult . It was transferred from micro fiche , so lots of quality issues.
On the page that shows the steering clutch housing (doesn't matter what S/N range it covers) it should have a Group Part Number at the bottom of the page along with the title.
D4d steering clutch hsg Found parts , for cracked hsg . Complete rear hsg , dead shafts , steering clutches & bevel gear , FD pinions all intact. We'll see how much is salvage able .Old hsg steering clutches & 1 FD pinion look new , will need a second bull gear though. Should arrive early new yr. In my searches found a huge difference in pricing . But getting pictures sent was alittle tougher. Merry Christmas and thanks for the help.