Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d4d growling

bluetick ยท 2018-03-24 07:05

My cat d4d 7R 0735 make growling noise when trying to turn right .almost impossible to make a turn under pressure. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-03-24 23:41

    What do you mean "under pressure"? Sounds like it is in the steering clutch not releasing. Brake application is causing noise, possible metal to metal and slipping because of locked up steering clutch.

  2. #2bluetick2018-03-25 06:03

    Thanks Old-Iron-Habit for the reply. I should have said it growls when under a load or trying to make a right turn. It does sound like the brake on that side is trying to engage. But I don't see how that is possible.

  3. #3Metalman 552018-03-25 06:56

    My old D4D did that a bit when I was pushing hard in 1st gear on the one side, but never got worse. Dry type steering clutches in my (is yours?) & I always attributed to them slipping a bit. I looked & could not find your prefix listed. What year is your machine?

  4. #4bluetick2018-03-25 09:46

    Its 1975 07R French made LPG unit . Yes it the dry type steering clutches. Recently replace the linings on the brake bands, but have completed several jobs since replacement. The growling ocurrs under load , no levers pulled or brake pettles pushed. Transmission fluid below add Mark, but still showing on stick. Have not been to machine top to off but will do next. Powershift transmission.

  5. #5Ronsii2018-03-25 10:51

    Mine is an 83J still with the dry clutches the only time I get 'growling' is like metalman55 says under heavy load one or both sides will slip, so if you pull the right clutch to turn the left side will slip and you won't turn very good while pushing... I just have never taken the time to adjust/check mine as I don't run it much and when I do just don't push it too hard

  6. #6bluetick2018-03-25 17:01

    From the others who posted here it sounds like the left steering clutch is slipping for what ever reason hope it can be adjusted out . if not can anyone comment on how big of a job and cost it is to replace clutch pack.

  7. #7Richardjw~2018-04-24 17:11

    my D4D also growls in bottom gear when pushing hard, its deffo not slipping and it stops if you pull a steering lever........it sounds like something is tight inside.....but anyway gonna let the fault develop

  8. #8bluetick2018-05-15 20:26

    Adjusted the clutch and growling went away. Sorry for the late update but have been busy. Thanks all.