Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d4d temp gauge not sure needle is showing warm or normal temps

CaptainB · 2024-04-18 23:32

It’s been very hot lately and I realized the temp gauge is showing what I’m interpreting as running warm is this normal or should I add water? I drained the radiator in January because it got almost below freezing temps. Then I refilled and the gauge had been right in the middle or a bit to the left until today, should needle be pointing right middle of the green part of the arch mark? I think I’ll just add some more water tomorrow I am using well water for the radiator water is a bit alkaline but it’s drinkable I drink it all the time but should I use coolant instead? Thanks José

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2024-04-19 00:02

    F'kin what now........?? Yes you should definitely use coolant IMO. Water alone does not have the necessary corrosion-resistant boil-resistant, etc, chemical package required for the inside of an engine. The use of coolant could also tend to reduce the cooling system temperature slightly. Why would trust a gauge if you are unsure.? Take the guesswork out of the deal. Get an infra red temp gun and shoot the temperature of the thermostat housing ('cos that's where the sender for the gauge is located) amongst other locations.

  2. #2Vetech632024-04-19 08:06

    Coolant is definite. Also, the temp reading can be a bit different depending on how the machine is working. It won't be at exactly the same needle point every single time unless you are doing the exact same thing during operation every single time. Last time I checked...........green means go!