Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D4E 1980

Seabass ยท 2015-08-31 21:55

There's a 1980 Cat D4E for sale, winch, tilt blade, 70% undercarriage, asking $19,000. What can you guys tell about theses little machines, engine, reliability, ease to work on? Strengths, weaknesses ? Anything info you have would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nitelite2015-09-01 01:52

    Is it direct drive or power shift? I have a D4E with a 10' mapt blade and I just love it. Mine is 100% uc with a winch and it is a direct drive machine. All I can say is be nice to the machine and it will be nice to you. Easy to repair with great parts availability. Do a good job assessing that undercarriage at that price. It could come back to sting you in the butt $$$$. Somewhere on this HEF dozier forum I have a thread on my D4E. Merv will likely be along before long to comment. He has a nice long track D4E that does a lot of work with and he really knows a lot about them. I have another thread going over in the track loader forum. I just overhauled the engine in my 951 loader and put her on a new undercarriage. Just about everything described there, as far as repair goes, will also apply to the D4E.

  2. #2Nitelite2015-09-01 02:02

    This is the link to my D4E thread HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #38k bill2015-09-02 04:27

    G'day seabass,we got a 51x model d4 pushing 9000 hrs original motor,trans,finals replaced steering clutches.great little all rounder and tough as nails. Bill