Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D4G XL Wont Start, Electrical

Dagwood_55 ยท 2013-04-17 19:48

So, we've got a CAT D4G XL out on our motorcycle trail. It was started a month or so ago and started right up. But when we go to pick it up, nothing, no dash lights, no horn, no lights nothing. We take the batteries in and have them checked and no problem with them. We install the batteries and still not go. I go back with my handy man, jack of all trades, master of none mechanic from my small biz. We check the ground, fuses and are in the process of running a small "jumper" wire to bypass different connections/silanoids/etc, just trying to determine how far and to where the juice from the batt's go. We then unplug and re plug up a small, 2 wire connection coming from a silanoid on the right and going into the wiring harness. This is all in the left side above the batt box. Lights! We've got dash lights, then it starts right up. I figure the little connector must be dirty and not connecting correctly. We then drive it off the mountain, load up and move to another location. After arriving, we unload, run it about 10 mins, kill it and start it several times, no problem. Then I kill it and it does the exact same thing and wont start, not dash lites, no horn, nothing. I plug and unplug the connection, no help, I then cut out the connector and wire it directly, but still no power. So, either it wasn't the connector, or we jiggled a wire above it going into somewhere, or we reset a tripped saftey switch somewhere or accidently did something right, but just don't know what it was. Any ideas at all from someone that's incountered something sim??? Where can I get a wiring diagram?? Helllllpppppp!!!!!! Thanks for any info....

Replies5
  1. #1eric122013-04-17 20:22

    id move the wires around again closely looking for any sparks from a short, sounds like your power is shorting out before it gets to the fuse block. also recheck the fuses and check from the battery to the ignition for power at the different connections. another thing you can do when testing and looking around is to feel for warm wires where you could have a short.

  2. #2Dagwood_552013-04-17 20:43

    Thanks for the reply. I just found some paperwork from the last time it was in the shop (before I get the dozer). It says there is a problem with some wires being spliced into the ECM and having bad connections. Where is the ECM? and what does it look like??

  3. #3Delmer2013-04-17 20:51

    Wiggle the key, and kick the cab. Re-check all of your battery cable connections. Then use a multimeter to check for voltage at the fuses, ignition switch, any relays near the ignition switch, alternator. If you find 12v, turn the key to start, and see if the voltage disappears. A wiring diagram would help a little, but this sounds fairly simple. edit: ECM is typically a thin rectangle with a big connector, maybe 1-2" thick, 4-6" square. Could be under the "dashboard" in the cab if it controls Electronics, or mounted on/near the Engine. Most likely the first if it's causing these problems.

  4. #4AllDodge2013-04-19 18:08

    Check the push button breaker and see if it has voltage going through it. As before it could also be a bad connection so you will have juice until you hit the key then it may disappear

  5. #5Nige2013-04-19 18:19

    You need 3 posts before the facility to send Private Messages to another member is activated. Make another post then left click your cursor over my username. Click on Private Message. Send me a PM with the machine Serial Number (I need that because there are 4 different ranges of D4G) and your e-mail address and I'll send you the Electrical Schematic in pdf format by e-mail. I'm working all weekend so you'll get a copy of it just as soon as I get the details of where to send it to .........