Following the operations manual for power train oil change, manual states refill capacity is 31 gal but after pulling the plug only got about 15 gals from the transmission sump. Operations manual only states to drain from the back of the transmission but I see plugs in the torque converter, so, question is do I attempt to drain the TC or just fill back with 15 gals understanding you only change half each time? And, does it have a suction screen like some of the later models I have read about that needs cleaning? The manual does not mention one. SN is 9DB01218 if needed.
Remember that the refill capacities listed are only approximate and the 31 gallons is for the complete power train system including filter, trans housing, lines, clutches, etc, etc so you would not expect to get anywhere near the full quantity out of it. It would probably be a good idea to remove the plug under the converter just to see what's in there in the way of debris as the machine is new to you. The recommended change frequency for the oil takes account of the fact that you are not changing 100% of the system capacity every time you drain the oil. The suction screen location is shown by the illustration below in the red circle. It should be removed and cleaned every time the oil is changed.
Thanks Nige, that is exactly what I needed. Usually cat parts online had good diagrams but for my SN the transmission driveline group has the incorrect one attached to the link (has the engine listed instead). I ordered from cat the service manual and parts manual but it will be next week before they come in.