Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d4k warning light

JeremyWillis · 2022-12-16 14:47

Good afternoon! I’ve been using my d4k this morning. From time to time it would chug down like it was starving for fuel, put it in neutral for a second and it’d start running normal again. This repeated a few times over a couple hours until it finally died. I noticed the light in the attached photo would come on while it was chugging. I’m assuming/hoping it’s a dirty fuel filter and I’m on my way to get a new one now. I don’t have a book so I was wondering if anyone knew the official meaning of the warning light. Thanks in advance Jeremy

Replies5
  1. #1ahart2022-12-16 17:26

    From the OMM: Fuel/Water Separator (7) - The indicator will illuminate when either of two items occurs. The fuel/water separator must be drained or the fuel/water separator should be changed.

  2. #2Nige2022-12-16 19:04

    ahart's told you what it means - but long-term you really need to get an O&M Manual. They only cost about $50 and contain loads of useful information.

  3. #3JD955SC2022-12-16 22:22

    Generic easy and simple K series dozer fuel system checks, also applicable to many other machines with the C4.4 and C6.6 engines. Check your fuel tank for water and rust, check fuel filters of course. Make sure cap is clean, good oring seal and a fresh fuel cap breather filter. Make sure fuel screen filter isn’t clogged or neglected. check electric lift pump and make sure it isn’t burned out or not pumping enough. The injection pump will pull past a burned out or underperforming electric pump but it’s not good for it.

  4. #4JeremyWillis2022-12-17 08:14

    I’d love to buy one. Do you know where I could get one?

  5. #5Nige2022-12-17 08:35

    Post a Serial Number. From that I can identify the correct manual for your machine and walk you through the process to get hold of one.