I recently purchased a cat d5c. Just curious what this switch on the dash does. Seems to operate the same in both positions.
Based on the pictographic symbol you have something serious wrong if the machine operates the same with the switch in either position because it appears to be for the park brake. What’s the machine Serial Number.? I would suggest that you get hold of an operation & Maintenance Manual ASAP. You can download one from Cat for $49. Covers all the basics of operation and maintenance.
OK, I checked in the O&M Manual. This park brake control operates slightly differently so you should check if it works the way it's supposed to. When you stop the machine and put the transmission into neutral, lower the blade, etc, etc, put that lever in the down (applied) position then press the service brake pedal down. The service brake pedal should stay where it is and the "parking brake" is then applied. To release the parking brake, press down on the service brake pedal and move the lever upwards to the "release" position. that should allow the service brake pedal to move upwards and release the brakes. Have you checked to see if there is a paper O&M Manual in the pocket behind the operator seat.?
Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely be getting a manual. I’ll confirm your steps to correctly engage parking brake when I get down to the farm this weekend. Thanks.
Post your Serial Number (to identify the appropriate manual) and I will happily walk you through the procedure to download one.