Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5C III Hystat Dozer 3046T Engine Removal

CDCASTLE ยท 2014-10-08 09:28

New to the forums- Have a 1998 Cat D5C III Hystat Dozer with 3046T engine. Will probably be pulling the engine to replace rear main seal. Can anyone give the basics/tips/tricks on the engine removal procedure. ( don't have a service manual). I have pulled several car engines, but this will be the first cat diesel engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1CDCASTLE2014-10-08 09:34

    Forgot to add S/N 5HS00484

  2. #2overworked2014-10-08 09:35

    Welcome, pretty strait forward, pull tins ,nose and radiator. Floorboards, use straps to support hystat pumps, unbolt from bell housing, usually have to turn engine over as you pull it away from pumps because teeth on coupler wear and will lock it together, I think it works best to turn it backwards, not a bad job. Good luck. Overworked

  3. #3CDCASTLE2014-10-08 11:34

    So I had the local dealer email me a copy of the engine removal procedure- It advises removing the cab/firewall, and pulling the engine with the pumps attached?- is all this necessary to get the engine out? Also, the photos were hard to understand- is the bellhousing of the engine bolted directly to the pumps , or is the engine bolted to a transmission.

  4. #4Nige2014-10-08 11:56

    The "official" procedure is to pull the engine with the pumps still attached. That's what the dealer sent to you, and why it recommends removal of the cab. The factory always assume that everyone has access to all sorts of cranes and hoists which of course isn't necessarily the case in the real world. As posted above it is possible to remove the engine and leave the pumps in situ, however there is no written procedure for doing it that way. The diagram below might give you an idea. It is taken from the Parts Manual showing the engine & pump transmission supports. Obviously the front engine mounts (RH side of diagram) will have to come apart, maybe the bolts 5 & 6 on the rear mount (LH side of diagram) might have to be loosened to give you a bit of "wiggle room". The bolts that appear to have to come out in order to leave the transmission & pump in the machine are not numbered in the diagram but are shown directly above the "R" in "Right Side View". There are 4 bolts shown in that illustration, I would imagine there are actually a lot more of them than that.

  5. #5overworked2014-10-08 15:52

    After looking at Nige's pic, we used strap at back of pump to support as the rear of engine is supported by mounts on pumps. You leave large plate attached to pumps and remove bolts around outer perimeter. I need to talk to td25c about how to draw on posts!

  6. #6Nige2014-10-08 17:04

    If you want that drawing let me know and I can email it to you.

  7. #7CDCASTLE2014-10-08 18:35

    OK- so when I have the bellhousing bolts removed and am ready to pull the engine, do I just wiggle/slide the engine straight forward, or do I need to slightly lift up on the pumps with the support straps in order to separate the engine from the pumps, while turning the crankshaft backwards slightly as you advised.--- Thanks for all the advice.

  8. #8MJHeavy2014-10-13 19:19

    Any updates? Did you get her out?

  9. #9overworked2014-10-13 20:45

    Slight tension as you remove bolts to keep gap equal.