Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D5H Engine problems

Mquinista · 2023-02-04 13:45

Hy gents Besides other problems on my D5H, now it’s the engine with a weird behavior… and no power at all… barely can make a turn in 1st gear The machine after I brought it in didn’t had much pushing power, but that was in line with the 12k hour on the clock the seller said. Apparently the machine does not show significative wear overall which is consistent with the 12k hour ( clock stopped at 9k) About the engine… it started smoking a litle 7/8 hrs ago and gradually started to loose power as the smoking increased until it’s no longer possible to ignore… it’s like a steam train. And power decreased to were it’s no longer possible to run the machine. Despite all this smoke, brown and black nothing white or blue… the engine does not misfire it idles well , starts well, THR’s up well, very litle blow by and it does not increase with rpm, but when into gear does not has any power and smokes like hell. Initially I thought it was the turbo, but after disassembly found the turbo in perfect shape, normal play in shaft, no thrust play , and the wheels in great shape. Replaced fuel filters… Removed one injector and didn’t find any particular reason for this injector to be failing. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies39
  1. #1Shimmy12023-02-04 15:01

    Air filters???

  2. #2tctractors2023-02-04 15:02

    Check Torque for flooding chap. tctractors

  3. #3Mquinista2023-02-04 15:23

    nop, filters ok

  4. #4Mquinista2023-02-04 15:24

    Pls explain further

  5. #5Mquinista2023-02-05 16:23

    Anyone with a guess ? This is really out of my knowledge.... lots of smoke and no power , hum quite strange

  6. #6Mcrafty12023-02-05 16:46

    Turbo not spooling up?

  7. #7ahart2023-02-05 16:50

    Lots of black smoke usually equals more fuel than air. I’d be looking for a boost leak.

  8. #8mks2023-02-05 17:06

    This may shed a little light on the ‘flooding’ HeavyEquipmentForums

  9. #9Angry Mike2023-02-05 18:38

    Do you have cat ET?

  10. #10Nige2023-02-05 18:53

    No electronics on a D5H. All it has is the 3T-9100 Series I EMS Panel. Not even a Harness Code Plug that you can go into with a short length of wire.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-02-05 21:03

    If the meter quit at 9000 and that was a know fact why would one not repair said meter.

  12. #12Mquinista2023-02-06 09:19

    Turbo is not wisling as they use to, did not measure boost. My bad. Hardly as boost leak, as if u know a 3304 engine it’s pluming is almost bullet proof. As compressor volute discharges direct into the manifold, which is cast metal. Only a inch of hose with clamps… can’ be ruled out though Just tell that to construction contractors… or farmers…

  13. #13Mquinista2023-02-06 09:25

    Removed an injector, which came out pretty good with just pop press around 180bar, atomizing good enough, the other 3 couldn’t get them out …someone fastened them with a 12face bolt in inches … which I do not own this tools in inches. Does anyone has injector specs for this engine? thanks.

  14. #14Tyler d4c2023-02-06 11:00

    I do most daily my good customers always want them fixed but I know what your saying

  15. #15Mobiltech2023-02-06 11:23

    Check the precleaner that comes through the hood to the air filter make sure it’s not melted from the dust ejector backflowing from exhaust. Actually the best quick test would be to pull out air filters and leave air cleaner cover off then do a quick torque stall and watch the smoke. Those 12 point bolts on the injectors are the factory original bolts for injector hold downs on 3300 series cats.

  16. #16Mquinista2023-02-06 14:46

    What socket does fit this…. In my world we are much used to metric… And this so small 12 face bolts a metric wrench does not grab them…

  17. #17Mcrafty12023-02-06 15:41

    Doesn't metric sockets come in the 12 point variety? Or metric boxed end wrenches?

  18. #18Mquinista2023-02-06 15:59

    Yes, 5, 5,5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10mm As far as I know nothing is equivalent in inches… take the case of the most common bolt in metric is 13/17/19mm A 9/16 socket fit a 14 bolt but most 14/spanners do not fit a 9/16. And a 14mm bolt is very uncommon… if we take the case of a 11/32 12 face a 9mm 12 face does no grab it and a 8mm does not fit.

  19. #19Mcrafty12023-02-06 16:11

    Oh I see, I'm old school US, metric system is pretty much unknown to me. I assumed there was a metric size equivalent for all us sizes and visa versa. Old guys can still learn stuff I guess.

  20. #20Mquinista2023-02-06 16:21

    hehe, i used to think the same long ago... but then started to deal with us system and english .... anyway what the size of this bolts heads? so i can buy a socket that fits them .... before i start welding and cutting...

  21. #21Mcrafty12023-02-06 16:29

    It's between what two metric sizes again?

  22. #22Mobiltech2023-02-06 16:41

    They are 5/16 12 point which is as close to 8 mm as damn is to swearing.

  23. #23Mobiltech2023-02-06 16:47

    I flip flop from metric to standard to so here it is. 8mm = 5/16 11mm= 7/16 13 mm slightly larger than 1/2 but will work 14 mm slightly smaller than 9/16 but will work 16 mm = 5/8 19 mm = 3/4 24 close to 15/16 And so on. So if you are on a budget buy a 3/8 drive set of sae sockets and supplement it with 10mm 12 mm 15 mm 17 mm 18 mm And then you have the small stuff covered.

  24. #24Mcrafty12023-02-06 16:48

    Lol...that should fit then!

  25. #25Mquinista2023-02-06 17:00

    thanks guys, that should do ... anyone know injector pop press and how to fix pressures if needed? what about guesses on the smoki´n ...

  26. #26ahart2023-02-06 17:24

    You’ve been presented with many guesses. You’re the only one that can check boost pressure, check for torque flooding, or health of the air inlet system. If there’s a particular guess you’re looking for, save us a lot of time and just get right to it.

  27. #27Mquinista2023-02-06 18:10

    Dead in the sand… never seen nothing alike… in some 30yrs dealing with other diesels… this CAT is full of surprises…

  28. #28ahart2023-02-06 18:17

    What is boost pressure under full load?

  29. #29Torin2023-02-07 21:42

    Check the inline fuel screen just before injection pump. They'll plug with little debris, I can take a picture of the location when I'm near mine next

  30. #30Mquinista2023-02-08 02:43

    That would be nice…

  31. #31Mcrafty12023-02-08 05:28

    If it was fuel deprivation I don't believe it would be smoking excessively? but it wouldn't hurt to look at that screen anyway. jmho.

  32. #32Mquinista2023-02-19 15:52

    Hy, Just a quick feedback… Motor has no problem… trans no problem too… men around machines yes… I guess the problem was air intake… after some carefull analisis found out it was a rubber seal between the hood and the dust bowl that was causing all this hustle… A don’t know how that thing folded and obstructed the air way that much… no wonder all that smoking and no power and no other signs of failure. Thanks everybody for the help

  33. #33Mquinista2023-02-21 15:38

    Despite the problem with power is now gone, the machine does not feel well … Compression test 25BAR average in cold engine ( not bad I guess) Valves were checked exaust was out of spec. Boost measured under load 0.4 BAR ( a litle too low ain’t?) Injectors checked 240 BAR average, good atomization. Blow by very litle , only slight mist not even enough to wet the outlet pipe. Engine starts in half turn, not even a white haze… exaust is pure clean. What boggles me is the boost being so low, was expecting at least 15psi or close to 0.8 to 1 BAR under load!!! Does anyone has specs on this matter for this engine?

  34. #34Nige2023-02-21 16:53

    Between 12.1-12.3psi at torque converter stall.

  35. #35Mquinista2023-02-22 03:14

    Exactly, in BAR 0.8, that would be inline with other diesels… System got no leaks, at least visible ones… Do u have the procedure to increase fuel so I can determine what else is going on?

  36. #36Mcrafty12023-02-22 04:40

    Might be a stupid question but..have you inspected the turbo and are convinced it's in good working condition? I ask that assuming before the air obstruction fiasco everything was well with the fuel system?

  37. #37Mquinista2023-02-22 07:19

    I inspected the turbo visually, compressor looks fine no signs of abrasion or tips broken/eroded. No axial play in shaft or in trust washer. Turbine from rear looks fine, can’t remove core without breaking the housing. Too rusty. turbine blades might be eroded… As this is a free float turbo unit , increasing fuel flow will certainly increase boost if turbo system is ok, or start smoking if not. At least that’s my bet…

  38. #38Mcrafty12023-02-22 08:35

    I had a turbo on my Mack truck that had very little compressor wheel damage, I also had about 50% of the boost the engine was suppose to have...I replaced the turbo and the boost came back to spec. I COULD however see SOME compressor wheel damage however small it was. There was no unusual l smoke, just some power loss and the exhaust would heat beyond max if I pulled the engine down near minimum RPM range. Just an experience I had with turbo's. I'm not saying that's is your problem.

  39. #39Mquinista2023-02-22 08:57

    Yep that might be the problem… nevertheless I just need to know how to increase fueling to rule out turbo failure… I never messed up with this CAT pumps… they are a litle diff than what I’m used (bosch)