Oil is leaking from the starter and the gearbox bell is filling up with oil and I am losing oil in the gearbox, can anyone help Cat D5H
Someone has the wrong decals on your machine its accually a d4h
my fault, it was glued by the owners before me, but what to do with the oil that fills the bell and the anlaser that throws that oil on the joint, I lose the oil from the gearbox, which is not so cheap.
I assume by "gearbox bell" you mean the torque converter housing on the back side of the engine.? Have you inspected the line that exits from the bottom of the converter housing.? I think there is a screen in that line to catch particles. It may be blocked. Attached something explaining how the power train system operates.
Oil came out of this plug, should there be a certain amount of gear oil? I guess it should, but I have to ask again, as soon as there was a seal where the anlaser was that I took off, oil was leaking from that seal for the anlaser. Is this a normal phenomenon or do I have some problem and the torque converter housing fills with oil? Thank you for your answers so far
Where exactly is that magnet located, in the filter up under the cabin floor itself? I guess that's where those magnets are
The attached illustration shows the location of the suction screen - Items 34 & 41.
Looking at the parts illustrations of the starter motor (attached) I get the impression that the torque converter housing is supposed to be wet. The first illustration shows gasket #3 between the flange of the starter and the flywheel housing. Then in the second illustration of the starter there are O-Ring seals, gaskets, and a shaft seal - Items #12, 15, & 19. All of that gives the the impression there is oil on one side that they are trying to keep out of the starter motor.
yep, Nige u´re right this machines have a wet starter, its common to leak, due to bad assembly. ppl is not used to see wet starters. This oil inside the TC housing lubes the acessories gears and is scavenged to GB case through pump . I guess if the leak is just enough to cause concern, it might be something serious on the order off too bad converter leak, or scavenge system.