Serial # 8RJ04730 I've got a rod on a lift cylinder that has some pitting. Shipped it to a hard chrome plating shop and they claim it's to badly damage. Any idea what would be the best way to get this fixed? Cylinder is stamped with 6E5401040429133059ZZ and 6E5401 04 050113ZZN. The rod eye is stamped 6E-5450 2.250" rod and 4.500" bore. Cat parts comes back to a 6e5401 cylinder. I can't find anything aftermarket with those numbers. In the process of having another shop give me a quote to custom build a new rod. Does anyone know if these cylinders below would be a direct fix? They do use the same seal kit. Bagget is right next to me and I'm sure hes got some of these machines on his yard so I could pull a cylinder off for probably cheaper. Machine Type Model Application Cylinder Serial Caterpillar Crawler Dozers D4B BACKHOE BOOM/BUCKET 3G5767 - D5H LIFT 4T1659 D6M LIFT 1103269 Caterpillar Crawler Loaders 931B BACKHOE BOOM/BUCKET 3G5767 - 931C BACKHOE BOOM/BUCKET 3G5767 935B BACKHOE / BOOM BUCKET 3G5767 935C BACKHOE BOOM/BUCKET 3G5767 963 RIPPER 9J9881 963 RIPPER RH 1U3497 963B, 963C RIPPER 1228420 963B, 963C RIPPER RH 1228421 Caterpillar Loaders - Wheel 930 LIFT 3G5471 - 966C LIFT 3G5471 Thanks
Did they tell you why exactly.? Is the rod bent more than the specified maximum to permit it to be straightened.? Is the chrome pitted too deep to be cleaned up and re-plated.? Did they offer you the option of re-using both the existing ends of the rod and installing a new section of 2-1/4" diameter chrome rodding.? This may be beyond their capabilities but they may know a competent machine shop that can do the job. The complete Lift Cylinder Group is an 6E-5400. See the attachment. The Barrel Assembly is Part Number 6E-5401. Question: Is the interior surface of the barrel in good condition with no scoring or scratching.? The Rod Assembly (rod with bushing installed) is Part Number 6E-5450. It is shown as being discontinued but I imagine that it ought to be available as an aftermarket part.
What determines the interchangability of cylinders is the bore, stroke, hydraulic connections, and end fittings for the pins, etc. The 110-3269 (D6M) cylinder on your list above has a 114.3mm (4.50") bore x 430mm (16.93") stroke. The 6E-5449 bushings installed in both the rod and the cylinder are the same Part Number that is used in your 6E-5400 Cylinder Group. The ports for the hose connections appear similar but I have no way of telling beyond that. I would say that there is a good possibility that the 110-3269 MIGHT fit your tractor.
I just spotted a difference. The 6E-5400 cylinder has a stroke of 17.1" compared to the 16.93" stroke of the 110-3269. Whether that small difference of less than 1/4" is significant who knows.?