Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5K Display Dramas?

CRC CAT D5K2 ยท 2026-02-02 16:50

Hi everybody. First up S/N is TRF00255. The display has started acting up on my dozer. The lower half with the LCD display is working fine. The upper half with the lights and gauges has been slow to come up. No action alarm on startup either. After a minute or so has been coming on. Now the upper half is not coming on at all. I have checked the power and earths under load with the display plugged in back probing the plug with the Cat spoons. Everything seems fine. I can only assume that the CAN communication is fine as the lower half working correctly. Does anyone know if these display have any particular problems? I assume if I need to replace it it will need to be flashed with software? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2026-02-02 18:24

    Part Number 351-3608 which has never been updated and there are no service articles that I can see stating of known problems with it. From what I can see it appears as though a new factory-fresh one will require flashing with software but I would have thought if you bought it through Hastings Deering Parts Dept (provided you tell them about it) then it ought to be flashed when you pick it up. It's used across 4 models from D3K2 to D6K2, so the chances of the software being one size fits all is pretty remote.

  2. #2CRC CAT D5K22026-02-10 18:46

    Thanks Nige. I have now retested the power and ground inputs. All seem fine for the second time. Also tested the Can Wires pretty bang on 60Ohms with no fluctuations. I am 99% confident that the display is crook. Fitted it to another machine and it didn't work in that either. The problem is I am having is everyone tells me it needs to be reflashed with software as part of the diagnostic process. But it appears that there is only software available for the engine and machine ECM. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? One guy at Hastings tells me that a new cluster will need flashing, the other tells me that its plug and play? Confused............. I have access to a dealer version of ET with winflash capability but don't know if there is actually software to actually upload to try. Thanks for any thoughts.

  3. #3Nige2026-02-10 18:56

    Any chance you can get hold of an oscilloscope.? It would be interesting to see the waveform on two channels, CAN High & CAN Low, with the instrument cluster connected and with it disconnected (or at least with the CAN wires unpinned) and look at the differences. Having looked at the schematics & SysOp again I have to correct my previous impression and say that the instrument cluster looks like Plug & Play.

  4. #4CRC CAT D5K22026-02-11 01:28

    Nige, I don't know anyone here with an oscilloscope. I will ask about. I have never used one. I would love to understand more about the way CAN BUS works and how to diagnose. Its always on my mind further learning and training as a diesel fitter. What might a o scope show for me in this case do you think.