Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d5k2 ignition issues

andrey nesterenko · 2022-09-25 19:21

Hey , we have a d5k2 lgp, and it sat a job site for like 2 months , last time I ran it , it started good no issues , but this time I go to start the dozer turn the key to run position , nothing happens lights on dash don’t turn on, I let the key sit there on the run position for a few minuets , once it sat there for a few min the lights came on everything looked normal until I went start the engine by turning the key to the start position , when I turned the key , engine started to turn , engine started , so I let go of the key so it would go to run position, and it shuts off

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2022-09-25 21:34

    Turn your key back and forth a few times? maybe you got some bugs inside the switch and it's not making contact? does the key action feel normal? I'd check the voltages on the back if you don't find something obvious.

  2. #2andrey nesterenko2022-09-25 21:50

    Key function feels normal after turning it back-and-forth a few times by few times I mean in about half an hour it will stay running, Previously we had an issue that when the key was in the off position the dozer started by itself and burn the starter could it be possible that the ignition block is bad

  3. #3Delmer2022-09-25 22:59

    Yes, either that or wiring harness damage. I don't know what else there could be, don't think there would be any printed circuit boards that could short out to do that.