Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D5M Transmission Cooler

Gary1975! ยท 2024-07-18 12:28

I have been working on a Cat D5M (3CR0 1241) that was sabotaged while the previous owner had it. Gravel was dumped in the transmission fill tube. Long story short I have removed the radiator assembly trying to access the transmission cooler. It appears the bottom section of the radiator would have to be cut apart to replace the cooler. Has anyone got experience doing this? The parts diagram shows a part number for the bottom section and a separate number for the oil cooler. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2024-07-18 12:54

    Got any photos of the bottom tank setup.?

  2. #2Gary1975!2024-07-18 14:01
  3. #3Dave Neubert2024-07-19 07:25

    Cutting it apart wont help try flushing it no big stuff would of gotten that far

  4. #4Nige2024-07-19 07:42

    Take it to the local radiator shop and have it hot-tanked maybe.? How many total hours on the machine.?

  5. #5Gary1975!2024-07-19 14:38

    I believe there are like 10-12,000 hours if I remember right. I did flush it out and found chunks and lots of sand. I'm going to push for a new bottom section.