Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT D5N AGG0451 2003 Engine stopped, won’t restart!

rankamateur · 2025-01-15 04:09

Was working perfectly normally, engine stopped, cranks over but won't fire. Only one active code 030 0248.02. Also three logged codes 113 0177.04, 113 0673.02 and 113 0675.02 all relating to transmission sensors. I have the wiring diagram and code sheet but no idea how to diagnose the cause of the active code.

Replies21
  1. #1Nige2025-01-15 12:39

    Attached the troubleshooting procedure for the Active Code 0248-02.

  2. #2rankamateur2025-01-15 21:07

    Thankyou for the prompt reply.

  3. #3rankamateur2025-01-23 23:04

    I took the procedure, checked all fuses were good then checked earth's were tight. Opened and contact sprayed main connectors pictured. 030 0248.02 is the only active code and it is still active. Are the connectors on the side of the engine the harness connectors refered to I the procedure? I have made no progress yet, does the code have to be manually cleared or should it just become an inactive logged code?

  4. #4rankamateur2025-01-23 23:05
  5. #5Nige2025-01-24 10:22

    Once the Code is no longer Active after being fixed it will become a Logged Code just like the three Codes in the Transmission ECM that you mentioned in your OP. Quoting Step 2 of the procedure - "Inspect the connections for the machine harness that are related to the CAT data link." That means ALL of them. TBH I would have put the word "all" into the procedure had I been writing it. I sent you an electrical schematic RENR5292 previously. The wires you are looking for are 892-BR (Datalink -) and 893-GN (Datalink +). They should be relatively easy to find because they form a twisted pair, the only wires on the machine assembled in that way. Basically the Datalink wiring network connects all the ECMs on the machine to one another. You have to track down every connector on the machine that those two wires pass through, open it and make sure it is clean, no sign of condensation or green crusties, and that each connector is good & tight when the two halves are plugged back together.

  6. #6rankamateur2025-01-26 20:35

    I have not been able to crack it but I have risen to the top of the heap for the excellent local Cat tech. He is hard to get because he is good. Hopefully he us good enough! So far we have established that the system thinks we don't have an engine!

  7. #7Nige2025-01-26 20:40

    An open circuit in the one of the Datalink wires on the branch of the machine wiring connected to the engine ECM by the sound of it.

  8. #8rankamateur2025-01-26 20:45

    @Nige I have printed the trouble shooting guide for the active code which you provided thankyou. I have the wiring diagram on my laptop from a friend. Translating the diagram to the machine has been the challenge. The twisted pair tip will be a great help. Thankyou again.

  9. #9Nige2025-01-26 20:56

    What publication reference is it.? For AGG-prefix machines with S/N up to 1334, which includes yours, RENR5292-02 dated April 2022 is the one I see.

  10. #10rankamateur2025-01-27 01:05

    Showing RENR5292-01 August 2004

  11. #11Nige2025-01-27 09:38

    Check your message inbox. I could’ve sworn that I sent you the latest version.

  12. #12Simon C2025-02-12 14:47

    So you can by schematic move back from a Engine ECM controller specific wire( Ex. Pin# 20 ) to the first plug in that is in a decent location and open up to check if clean on the Can Twisted Pair. Can you test it at all from that plug to see if broken down stream. Wondering Simon C

  13. #13rankamateur2025-03-07 07:28

    I had a Cat mechanic diagnose the wiring. He established that my ECU is dead. Even installed it on another D5N and achieved same serv code. There are 38 on back order globally, 36 being delivered next month. My ECU is unrecoverable, a refurbished ECU has since become available and we will be having it installed shortly. Happens too often and Cat could do more to meet demand.

  14. #14Nige2025-03-07 08:28

    In my experience “true” ECM failures are very few and far between. I would say that well over 90% of ECMs that are replaced were not actually faulty, just mis-diagnosed - generally proven by the fact that the original fault code still remained after replacement. Obviously there is the occasional exception like in your case but that’s what it is, an exception.

  15. #15rankamateur2025-03-07 16:23

    Having another tractor about 200 serial numbers above mine on another farm only 20 miles up the road being worked on by my mechanic at the time was a diagnostic luxury that I could only wish for, definite confirmation that a functional ECU will get me going. My only concern is that no refurbished ECU was available until mine was assessed and deemed unserviceable. I just hope I am not buying my own unit back as a Refurb.

  16. #16Nige2025-03-07 16:43

    Whether it's yours or someone else's ECM it's still a refurb either way. Are you buying it through the Cat dealer.? If so it will have the sanme parts warranty as a new one.

  17. #17rankamateur2025-07-02 03:39

    Update:I finally got going with a used ECU. On the displayI have inherited about 10 codes, none of these are active. Would they have come on the replacement ECU?

  18. #18Nige2025-07-02 04:16

    Could have been either TBH. Best thing to do is erase them now then you known that anything else that pops up is a result of something that happened on your machine.

  19. #19rankamateur2025-07-02 04:20

    The miles in F3 and R3 still show but I have also lost F2,R2,F1and R1 distances travelled. It may have come from a single speed application?

  20. #20Nige2025-07-02 06:41

    The speed/distance information is held in either the the Powertrain ECM or the Monitor (not sure which TBH), not the engine ECM which is what you replaced. So that’s not the reason that data has disappeared

  21. #21rankamateur2025-07-02 06:44

    Ok thanks. I will have to get the mechanic back and put it back on the computer to clear the codes so we will see what he can work out.