Cat d5n lgp serial no.akd00919 ran about hour and operator called said it had stoped pushing. Got there and found no major leaks or faults. Thinking may have a trans, torque, or pump problems. My 2 questions are 1. What are the pressures and procedures for testing trans and torque? 2. Does the trans or torque have a screen to check for metal or trash?
Do the hydraulics still work for your blade?
Yes hydraulics seem fine
did drive shaft hit him in a-- and would he know if it did.
Try pulling up the floor plate and observe the drive shaft. When you stick it in any gear does the drive shaft stop or keep turning..?
The shaft from the torque is turning going into the trans. Trys to move a few feet and stops.... clutches maybe?
That shaft should stop dead when you put it into gear. Does the transmission oil smell burned.? It might be well worth a look in the transmission filter for particles. You will have to cut it open to do that. Sounds like you don’t have a manual for it. That shows where all the screens are. I’ll see if I can post some illustrations up from the Maintenance guide.
The oil doesn't smell burned but seems a little thin. I could be wrong on that part. I can tell the shaft slowed down some but didn't stop. A illustration would be great. Could a trans pump be bad and not supplying enough pressure to fully engaging the clutches resulting in slippage?
Do you have any idea what oil (type & viscosity) is in it..? When was it last changed..? To get at the screen you will first have to drain the transmission oil - unless you want to have it on your head when you pull the screen out. Next thing that will have to come off is the belly guard. The screen assembly is arrowed. Remove the bolts, the washers and the screen housing. The magnetic filter and the suction screen are located in the screen housing. Remove the seals. Wash the screen and the magnetic filter in a clean, nonflammable solvent. If you find any major particles in the screen keep them and take photos.
Thank you. I will get it in shop and start figuring it out. Will report what I find
Here's a question. Will it move in reverse..?
It will move a few feet in either direction and then stop or "slip"
I would say drop the oil, cut the filter open, and take a look at the screen as a first step. When you drain the oil keep an eye on the colour, whether it is cloudy or clear, and if it smells burned or not.