Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6B Steering Clutch Control

Sam1734 ยท 2021-01-22 05:07

Has anyone here reinstalled the steering clutch control unit and had issues with the hydraulic pistons? I just finished a complete rear end rebuild, and now my steering clutches are engaging, however I have my yoke bolt is literally bottomed out. According to the manual I need to have .19 clearance between to cylinder and lever, but the lever is not engaging at that measurement. Do I need to remove the control unit, and push the levers and cylinder up further onto the piston and remount the unit? I do currently have the 3.75" travel on the steering levers but no room for error if the clutches wear. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks Sam

Replies2
  1. #1Old Magnet2021-01-22 18:02

    Seems the indexing of the splined yoke shaft is off. Yes you will have to raise the unit, shift the shaft indexing a tooth and set it back down.

  2. #2Sam17342021-01-23 01:53

    Thanks, I did just that. The manual was a little difficult to understand, however, when I raised it back up, I push the levers and cylinders into the "engaged" position and set it back down and adjusted from there. It's working great now.