Good morning, I NEED some experienced help on removing a welded on equalizer bar support tower to track frame, I can see where it is supposed to be bolted to frame, all 4 bolts are broken off, after grinding welds off and removing tower, not sure how to remove broken bolts in frame, I would like to replace tower, and bolt into place, thanks keith
Are the broken bolts flush or above the frame surface or are they recessed further down into the holes?
not sure yet, have not removed all weld holding tower on, looks like flush with frame, by looking down holes
Photos always help
If flush or large enough bolts, welding a nut or even flat bar with a hole in it on the broken bolt usually heats and shrinks the broken part enough it comes out easy. You can get special welding rods for removing bolts but they aren't always needed.
Take an oxy/fuel torch flame (rosebud would be best) and heat bolt and frame area until uniformly red hot. Not hot enough to melt the bolt or frame. Not more than cherry red. Bright orange is too hot. Got to keep it hot long enough to saturate deep into the frame. Let it cool off enough to perform the following: Assuming they are flush or slightly below, get a grade 8 washer that would normally fit the bolt (or one size less) and lay flat and center over the broken bolt. Weld through the washer hole to the bolt, filling the hole up with weld metal to the bolt. Use a smaller diameter washer if there's concern about just keeping the weld metal on the bolt shaft. You dont want to weld to the frame. Then weld a large nut onto the washer and unscrew with a socket like you would with a normal bolt. All of the heat cycles should free them up enough for this to work.
Sorry WelderDave.. i didn't see your comment covering it as I was typing and posting at same time...
Usually the welding alone is enough to get the broken bolt out. Sometimes you have to do it more than once. I'd guess these are fair size bolts so may not need a washer welded on first. Throwing a 5800 deg. flame up there from a rosebud could cause much bigger problems than a few broken bolts. High strength welding rods may be required.
what keeps weld from sticking to threads in frame if bolt is below surface
Using a smaller nut or hole in the flat bar. The special welding rods have a flux that protects the threads from the molten puddle. All depends on the size of bolt.
That's why many people will use a washer the next size smaller. Say of the broken bolt is 5/8 inch use a 1/2 inch washer.
Your chances of turning the stubs out by any means is very slim. I quit trying on that kind of stuff. I drill a small hole through the center of the bolt. Then use a cutting torch and take out the center of the bolt. Don't cut to the threads. You can stuff a chisel or a wedge piece of steel into the cuttings and turn what is left out. There is nothing under the bolt that will be hurt by the slag from the torch. If you have a lot of skill with a torch, you can cut just to the threads and then bust the shell with a chisel and take it all out in pieces. Use a new tap to clean the threads and you are back in business.
I thought I had posted this picture before but don't see it so I put it here: I'm assuming the bolts you are talking about are the ones that the red arrow is pointing at in the above drawing.
Yes sir those are the bolts