Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6C oil filling up final drive

Balzomedic ยท 2013-05-31 13:01

Okay, maybe this is a common problem, but it seems weird to me. My D6C 76A 1197 is loosing transmission oil slowly. Maybe a gallon every 15-20 hours of use. Problem is, it ain't leaking out.... but my final drive is filling up. I think its leaking into my hydraulic tank too, so here's my theory; oil goes from trans to hydraulic to final where I then open the top fill cap and empty said oil out of final on right side frequently. Am i way off base? Anyone else had this problem? How to fix it? Trans pump has been replaced, hydraulic pump seals replaced.

Replies4
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-05-31 13:14

    I had the same thing on several D-8 H and K machines. The oil transfers through the seal in the rear of the trans and goes into the diff, then makes its way into the finals. It is a pain to fix, so we just ran them that way. I quit draining the oil off the finals as well, and never had a problem on the ones doing that. They ran for years that way. I am not saying it is the best solution, but I would look at the hours you use it, vs the cost of pulling the trans and decide what to do. I would be surprised to see trans oil in the hydraulic.

  2. #2Balzomedic2013-05-31 13:55

    Thanks! Good to hear you have experience, and that it wasn't a significant problem.

  3. #3D6 Merv2013-05-31 23:56

    that early a D6C has the 3 brg pinion and used a lip type seal. still have to pull s/clutch and f/d flange to fix it tho

  4. #4theironoracle2013-06-02 11:35

    I second everything that jdofmemi said, I have had same issue and ended up not draining finals because it will finally level out tranny fluid and you will stop having to add oil. finals will last thousands of hours this way..........theironoracle