I have read some threads on here about serial number locations etc, however I have just bought a d6c and the serial number stamp at the rear is rubbed off because the ripper frame has been used for a while with lose bolts. Engine serial plate says 73a193 but doesn’t seem to work when searched on sis etc. I found a 575 number that’s it. Please help
73A is the Australian equivalent if a US 76A
That machine of yours is too old to be in SIS. From that era the machine S/N and engine S/N will be the same. You'll need either access to the old Cat microfiche or a paper/CD parts manual. I can see one for 76A1-6061 that might suit your machine.
Another possible route to get information would be to register on ACMOC - https://www.acmoc.org/ They do have branches in Australia and their library contains a mountain of parts & service information on older machinery.
Thank you. I thought maybe the engine could have been changed so I removed ripper frame to double check the serial number that is stamped on the frame. I am getting the feeling that parts could be an issue, that might explain the cheap price
That's a possibility I had not considered. From your first photo the machine S/N could possibly be 73A575.?
For what it’s worth,I had D6C 83A 400. It was the UK equivalent to your 73A I think.It was a 1966 built tractor
Look on the left side of the tractor between the 2 studs in the picture with the rags, kinda looks like drive rivets over the final case. Some tractors had serial numbers there. Bad Bob
Hi Tommy C, Have a 73a in OZ also - our D333 turbo motor has a tag on the LHS of the block (73a291) Ours has had a engine rebuild at some stage along with final drive rebuild. We are just looking to fit some tilt cylinder / s (not sure on 1 or 2 yet) - or go all out and fit a bull blade. These models only have a two valve hyd tank so we have to use the ripper circuit. From my limited knowledge - first of the Powershift D6 available in Australia. Parts - keeps me awake at night.... Ben
Well I haven’t had much time lately to keep fixing this thing but I have managed to keep on the hunt for the mystery number going with no luck. I have found numbers stamped in the frame behind the radiator mounts on both side and the torque converter mounts. I’m finding 3 lots of 1010 and also a 020. This is driving me crazy
Other than the spoked rear sprockets and the the C frame style dozer blade the machine looks a LOT like my 68 C model.... US serial number 76A5579, My serial # is on a tag affixed to the firewall just in front of your right shin when seated on the machine...and also on the side of the engine block....I don't recall which side for sure but I believe the right side but I'd have to look to be sure about that. My numbers happen to match but if your engine has been change they likely wouldn't.
Hi there I am trying to track down a rocker cover gasket part number for my D6C 73A. Machine was built in 1963. Westrac have no idea. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. JD in Syd
Ben would you know the rocker cover gasket part number for your dozer? We need to replace ours but Westrac are useless. Cheers JD in Syd
Westrac will have no idea because it's not in SIS, and I'm sure their microfiches and readers got thrown out decades ago. As above, the best suggestion would be to get hold of a paper Parts Manual or maybe to try ACMOC to see if there is a scanned copy of a Parts Manual in their library. I reckon the manual quoted above for 76A1-6061 would work for your 73A.
Nige thanks very much. I appreciate the response. Cheers JD
I believe Nige has got you covered, you're going to want to get that book or buying parts for your machine will be a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and run down a copy of the book Nige shows.
Thanks very much. Will do.
Just so you understand whats going on here. There were D6C models (Both Direct Drive & Powershift) built in the US, Oz, & the UK in the same era. Production started in the US/Aus in 1963 and in the UK in 1964. So an Aus-built 73A powershift machine is the equivalent of a US-built 76A or a UK-built 83A. Because Oz production was so small I think it would be safe to say all the 73A production run would be equivalent to US machines 76A1-6061.
Understood. Thanks very much.
I would just ring Tilly's for such an item.
Yep next on my list. Cheers
p/n 113-1247
Thanks Mark. Appreciate it.
I have a d6c model and would like to know the year serial number is 69j1888 It's a Japanese Mitsubishi built model
1971 year. Later in the year built, 01979 is last one for 1971 yr. DWF
Thanks I didn't think it was that early of a model cuz it does have the 3306 engine in it turbocharged
That's strange, my book says 3306 came at SN 1984. Maybe my book is wrong or the engine has been changed. Strange things have happened. DWF