Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat d6c steering clutch

keith-50 · 2020-09-15 17:20

I need some help with my d6c 10-k tractor removing pinion flanges, I am using a 1inch thick flat stock bar 8 inches lonr with holes drilled to accept 3/4 grade 8 bolts into center holes of pinion flange with 3 inch nut backed off with 1/8 gap to catch flange when pops off, I am using 20 ton harbor freight low profile ram with 10000 pound hand pump, but will not pop loose, any help would be appreciated, tkank you keith

Replies11
  1. #1.RC.2020-09-15 20:09

    Super dumb question, but you did loosen the nut?

  2. #2keith-502020-09-15 21:29

    Yes sir, left 1/8 gap between flange and nut , I had no problem removing steering clutch flanges , does pinion flange need tonnage to pop loose

  3. #3Dave Neubert2020-09-16 07:35

    They can be tough try putting pressure on it and hitting the hub with a heavy bar you have to really hit it hard

  4. #4Mark2502020-09-16 17:15

    the hub's are pressed on the taper with between 20 to 25 tons. you are on the limit of your press gear you may need to go up in cylinder size some times a sharp blow from a hammer and punch or some heat may help

  5. #5D6c10K2020-09-16 20:30

    If you can't get it with above suggestions Ziegler Cat (and maybe others) will rent pullers. You'll probably need it anyway to get it back on to correct tons pressure.

  6. #6keith-502020-09-17 23:24

    Can someone tell me how to disassemble this steering clutch pack on Cat D6C 10K power shift. Can you use one inch diameter all thread bolted through steel table. Can press spacer be fabricated from 3/4 inch steel plate? If so does the spacer press on A or B

  7. #7keith-502020-09-17 23:26

    I don't think the picture attached with my earlier post

  8. #8Dave Neubert2020-09-18 06:41

    you would press on B but I think you can just unbolt it if not sure replace a couple of the bolts with longer ones or all thread

  9. #9keith-502020-09-19 16:43

    Still having trouble removing pinon shaft flange. I am considering buying 50 ton ram to press off pinon flanges, does ram need to have hollow center to use with Cat tools to press flanges back on?

  10. #10Dave Neubert2020-09-20 07:54

    You need the Cat ram and adapters to press it back on unless you have something machined then you will need a hollow ram

  11. #11Old Cats 712023-10-03 21:41

    Hi, our local Cat doesn’t have the tooling anymore does anyone have the dimensions on the plates & U bracket for reinstalling?