Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6D 1987 Transmission Questions

Zembo ยท 2023-08-12 12:59

1978 Cat D6D Serial Number 03x00729 Transmission 2P1519 Hi, I've just acquired my first piece of heavy equipment. And hence, my first post. I am having a very hard time shifting between Forward and Reverse. Fuild is topped off. But when I went to clean the screen, I found a couple of pieces caught by the magnets. Can anyone tell me how important they are? Where they go? And most importantly, how big a risk am I taking if I operate the machine? Any general comments or advise would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards Steve

Replies10
  1. #1chidog2023-08-12 14:27

    Almost looks like brake band friction material, and a retaining rivet. Pin with cotter pin in it? Wow ?

  2. #2Nige2023-08-12 14:30

    Have you looked at the shifting linkage to see if it's binding anywhere.? there are lots of pivots, needle bearings, etc, in the linkage. try disconnecting the linkage at the transmission control vavle and see if you can shift the spools better with a pair of vice grips on the end of them. FWIW I wouldn't recommend you run it any more. IMHO it's transmission out time. The metal pin is part of the retraction mechanism for a clutch piston.

  3. #3tctractors2023-08-12 15:08

    It looks to be a Fuel Tank off job at least, the brake Actuator might be damaged or cracked through on a mount, so it looks like you might be pulling out the steering packs, the shift problems can be due to low oil pressure.

  4. #4Zembo2023-08-12 15:11

    Do you know where is the best place to get documentation and schematics on this?

  5. #5Zembo2023-08-12 15:14

    Also any ideas on what would cause this?

  6. #6Dave Neubert2023-08-12 15:43

    Years of wear and tear

  7. #7Nige2023-08-12 15:43

    If you are going to dig into this yourself then you'll need a Service Manual for a start. Here's one on eBay . New it would be priced at $785. A Parts Manual might also be a good idea. Try this LINK . Question: Does your machine have a direct drive or powershift transmission.?

  8. #8Zembo2023-08-12 16:07

    Direct Drive.. Would you know if I'm better off buying a rebuilt transmission, having it rebuilt, or shopping for a different D6? Bummer Ive had it only a week.

  9. #9Nige2023-08-12 16:31

    As @tctractors said above, the problem might well be in the steering clutch/brake area. Right now the jury is out as to the root cause.

  10. #10Zembo2023-08-12 17:25

    Thanks for the links. Bought both.