Hello, My injector pump has an intermittent leak where the shaft exits for where the throttle linkage connects. Do I need to take it an injector shop or cat dealer for pump work or can I somehow pull off the plate and install a new seal easily in the field? Injectors pumps can be tedious.....any tips? Cost? Process of fixing it? I'd really appreciate any help. Oh, while I am at it.....the fuel pressure gauge is fogged over. Do I need to buy this at cat or can I get one at my local napa? Shouldn't it be an outdoor waterproof style gauge? What reading should it set up for? 0-200 or what? Lol. Or white to red? Thanks!
Takes a s/n and pump ID to do any digging. Is it a scroll or sleeve metering pump.
Caterpillar d6d Serial# 04x07840 Will have to get number off pump. Thanks!
What's leaking around the shaft,oil or fuel.If it is oil it is usually just the seal .Take it off and replace.If it is fuel then would have to dig into it farther.Good luck
To help the pump experts on here post a photo showing the pump and the location of the leak.
By that s/n it should be a sleeve metering pump. OK to remove shaft cover, it is spring loaded. Keep shaft in place. Requires seal #4N2786 and cover gasket 4N0402. You will need to bleed fuel from governor housing. Fuel pressure gauge is a Cat #1W706, 0-30psi. Buy from Cat or aftermarket.
i am very much appreciative! So I can actually fix this leak in the field!
Yes, you can fix this in the field....make sure you keep things clean.
Hi OM American D6Ds 4x. did all the PC and DI engines have the sleeve metering fuel pump ?. I know somewhere along the line they will change to the later new scroll fuel pump. Any idea where, at what s/n this took place ? and same question for ps D7G 92V Japanese 31X all used the early scroll pump then changed to a interim scroll pump with the DI motor. Far more reliable than the SMFS pump. Have only seen 2 usa model down here a PC and a DI but both had smfs. Thanks from NZ. merv
The only 3306 DI engine with a sleeve metering pump was a D5 that I have seen. Other wise when the 3300 engines swiched over to DI the also used the New Scroll pump, around 1980. Later Bob
Hi Merv/Bob. According to my D6D parts manual the 4X changed to sleeve metering and DI at s/n 4X6608 (1980) With what info I have on the D7G 92V it appears they used sleeve metering up to 92V11897 (1983) and changed to DI and new scroll at 92V11898 (1984) I'd like to see the actual parts manuals on the D7G (I don't have) because you can't always believe what you read.
I had the same problem with my 4x sleeve meter last year it made the rest of my hair fall out before I got it fixed but here is what I found out the hard way. That compartment should be Dry that cover and seal only keeps dirt out the seal that keeps the fuel in is deeper in and you have to pull the shaft to replace it. Mine was missing (good pump shop) also it is the same part number as the one in the cover , you can pull the rear end / gov. housing without removing the pump. Hope This Helps
Just realized my 4x manual is for the 8Z1827-up engine and does not cover to 8Z99999 so there probably is a change to new scroll at later date.
That's good info, didn't realize the outer chamber should be dry. Interesting that there is no part number called out or quantity of 2 indicated to cover the inner seal in the parts manual but would assume the same seal is used. So both should be changed. Yes, housing will need to be pulled and there are a few bits and pieces to keep track of. Inner seal needs lip facing in and outer seal lip would be pointing out in this case.
Here are some more pics....
That seal is shown on another page from the cover (gov housing I think) hidden very well .Bet the cover gasket is whats leakin the detent spring pushes so hard till it bows the cover out between the bolts. Thanks again ,for helping with mine guys.
Got it, buried in the cut away, Item #7. Poster indicated it was leaking around the shaft.
It is shown in this pic without a number if you extend the number seven pointer line to the counterbore in the housing I don't how to mark on this pic
sorry my last one was talking about your first pic .Did they hide it good??
#7 takes you to pt # 4N2786 on the parts list....same number as the cover outer seal.
Yes, hid it good. I was expecting it would show up with the outer seal diagram. Didn't look that hard at the pump diagram until you called attention. Must of had fun sorting yours out.
:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead Yea
We come across **** like that almost every day in Parts Manuals, or so it seems. We have taken to referring to such conundrums as the example above "A Cat Design Feature - designed to ***k you up."
I hear your Nige. Just try to find the part number for brake light switch for an old 988 87A. Simple a switch is part of the wiring right? No it's hidden on the back side of a hydraulic block and is not even shown in the book, just an arrow pointing some where! I actually had a Cat dealer the other side of the state call me asking where to find the part number! This was not for us but one of their customers!
Actually a little easier to find using Parts store, just do a search for "switch" It's item number 34
Tell me about it. Parts Manuals have got a lot better over the years but they are still nowhere near perfect, and won't ever be as long as people with an engineering/maintenance background are excluded from the Parts Listing and diagram creation process.
uh oh. So you are saying I need to pull the little housing off the back of my pump? But I can fix it in the field as long as I keep up with the little pieces and keep it clean? Or do I have to somehow put a pin in a timing gear and pull the whole pump off?
delete
Yes, just pull the little housing off as you say. No need to mess with the pump. Still a field job but now you need two seals and add a 5N594 joint gasket for the housing.
I hate to drag up a long dead thread, but the summer camp I volunteer at has a D5B with the same problem, fuel leak at the accelerator shaft linkage. I've attached the serial number plate and a picture of the numbers on the back of the pump. Can anyone tell me if the part numbers for the seal and gasket are the same as mentioned above?
The Seal is 4N2786. There is a typo in the Gasket P/N. It should be 4N0594, not 5N594.