Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6H lubricant recommendations

pricej02 ยท 2023-03-14 14:45

About to take delivery of a 1986 D6H LGP dozer with powershift transmission. Looking for recommended hydraulic, transmission, and final drive lubricants containing zinc that are not branded by Caterpillar. The machine has about 10,000 hours with minimal service history available. My location is in Eastern, NC where temperatures can exceed 100 degrees F in the summer. Not planning on operating in extreme cold conditions. If alternatives without zinc that provide the same performance please share those also. I have the information I need for engine oil.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-03-14 15:00

    For your climate conditions Power train/transmission & track frame recoil spring compartments - SAE30 TO-4 Final drives - SAE50 TO-4 Hydraulic system - SAE10W No reason to use Cat-branded oils. Any good-quality commercial oil will meet the required specification. FYI sometimes Cat dealers have offers on oils and filters that make them competitively priced, or even cheaper than, commercial alternatives. You might consider investing in a Cat Operation & Maintenance Manual that covers all this and a lot more besides. Cost is around $50 to download, or you might find one on eBay. To identify the correct manual for your particular machine would require the Serial Number. There are over 30 different models of D6H out there.

  2. #2Mquinista2023-03-14 15:05

    Hehe someone might have it diff

  3. #3pricej022023-03-14 15:17

    Nige - thank you for the information. I believe the serial number is 8YC00392.

  4. #4Nige2023-03-14 15:41

    D6H 8YC00392 - built 14th July 1986. The appropriate O&M Manual is Cat Publication reference SEBU6015. $52 to download in pdf form from https://catpublications.com/ and you would have it in 5 minutes or less. Or here is the same thing on CD for slightly less - https://www.ebay.com/itm/311891719422?_ul=IN

  5. #5pricej022023-03-14 16:06

    Got it - just found a used printed copy on Ebay and purchased. Would you happen to have the part number for the parts manual as well?

  6. #6Nige2023-03-14 17:14

    Latest available version of the Parts Manual is HEBP1559-05. Here's one - https://www.ebay.es/itm/202612588313

  7. #7pricej022023-11-10 14:37

    I finally got the D6H restored after sitting for nearly 13 years. Runs like a tried-and-true classic Cat with no fault codes. After about 10 hours of therapeutic use, the track frame recoil spring compartment on the left side started leaking while in use - does not leak when parked. My question is whether operating the dozer with no 30-weight oil around the spring will harm anything? I was under the impression the oil was for corrosion protection, and I plan to get it fixed this winter. Would like to continue to use on some small jobs before I remove the blade and separate the track and fix the leak.