Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat d6k2 problems

Cverch · 2022-10-26 22:43

Working on a cat d6k2. Having problems with the blade drifting down. The last tech replaced the valve segment for the blade up and down in hopes it would have fixed it but it didn’t. I’m kinda at a lost on the machine. Not sure what else it could be

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2022-10-27 04:30

    Start with a Serial Number. Always good on a model that has multiple options - 12 in this case. While you're at it post a list of any Active Diagnostic Codes.

  2. #2Cverch2022-10-27 06:34

    No active codes. Rst613618. When I turn the machine off it still drifts down also with the hydraulics turned off. I’m still thinking the issue is the valve block

  3. #3Nige2022-10-27 06:45

    RST is good for the prefix but should only be 5 digits after it. Has anyone looked at the dead engine lower function.?

  4. #4Cverch2022-10-27 06:56

    I was curious about that. Wasn’t sure how to troubleshoot it. My gut feeling it was that boy not 100% sure

  5. #5Nige2022-10-27 06:58

    Check your messages.

  6. #6Cverch2022-10-27 16:05

    Ended up pulling the valve out. Found some fine metal shavings

  7. #7ahart2022-10-27 16:13

    Have you checked both blade lift cylinders? A loose piston due to a broken rod or a loose piston retaining nut could produce metal. Just something to consider.

  8. #8Nige2022-10-27 16:21

    Your challenge is to find where it cane from. I wonder if the previous guy who replaced the blade valve section checked for contamination.?

  9. #9ahart2022-10-27 16:24

    I’m gonna guess no. As the saying goes, “seek and ye shall find”

  10. #10Cverch2022-10-27 22:07

    So I found only metal shavings in the blade angle segment. Also capped the blade up and down cylinders on the down side, and had an issue were it would go about a foot off the ground then bind up and stop. Return the blade control back neutral and the blade drifts up. Pushed the blade control down and the blade goes down and it’s capped off. Im so lost. I really want to figure it out

  11. #11Cverch2022-10-27 22:08

    That I don’t know. To many people have touched it and now it’s my problem.

  12. #12Nige2022-10-28 04:14

    Like a hart mentioned earlier I think you’re going to be opening those lift cylinders sooner rather than later.

  13. #13ahart2022-10-28 08:10

    You may have enough metal contamination that you need to open every cylinder, control valve section, tank, and flush all hoses. It won’t get rid of itself and you will keep chasing it until you get rid of all of it. Pull your filters and cut them open, drain hydraulic tank and see what you find. Pressure check all cylinders on both sides to check for leakage. Report findings.

  14. #14Nige2022-10-28 08:39

    This might help you. I know it's an engine oil filter but the cutting & inspection process is exactly the same. There appear to be two hydraulic system filters located in the RH side of the engine compartment.