Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6K2 XL Overheating

Jfarris · 2024-05-16 18:15

Started out hydraulic oil would heat up within 30-40 of pushing in the morning then coolant temp would follow. I’d sit for about 15-20 min and go ahead and it heats right back up within 10 min or so. Blew out radiators really well and now hydraulic & coolant raise together in basically same amount of time. This dozer does not have the fan direction switch on the right side of the console. Fan is pushing air not pulling from outside. I’m assuming it should be pulling correct? Any help is greatly appreciated. Serial #WMR00763

Replies16
  1. #1Nige2024-05-16 20:01

    No. It's a dozer, it should be pushing out the front. So it's not fitted with the optional reversible fan. Not many are so it shouldn't be a problem. When the engine is idling try unplugging the electrical connector for the demand fan solenoid valve. The fan should immediately go to high speed. The solenoid is located below the radiator on a manifold block - Area B on the illustration.

  2. #2Jfarris2024-05-16 20:17

    Thank you for responding. It was unplugged and it did not go to high speed. If I idle the machine up with it plugged in, it goes faster accordingly with rpm.

  3. #3ahart2024-05-16 21:00

    Ideally, I think I would do a fan speed calibration to check the proper function of the solenoid, fan motor, and ECM. This requires ET and I’m not sure you have that or not.

  4. #4Nige2024-05-16 21:37

    I was going to suggest taking a look in the Service Mode on the Monitor to check if anything electronic is amiss.

  5. #5Jfarris2024-05-16 22:05

    It has the basic monitor. I can’t figure out how to get into codes. Although the only light that comes in is the warning light, which goes out immediately once it’s cooled back down.

  6. #6Nige2024-05-16 22:13

    Press & hold the two small buttons at the bottom of the screen for 3 seconds then release. That will put the Monitor into Service Mode and should display a list of Events & Diagnostic Codes. Anything with an X alongside it is Active, a dash indicates it is Logged. To return the Monitor back to Operating Mode, press & hold the buttons again for 3 seconds then release.

  7. #7Jfarris2024-05-16 22:15

    Thank you Nige I will try that in the morning.

  8. #8Jfarris2024-05-17 10:21

    Good morning Nige. There’s zero active codes.

  9. #9Nige2024-05-17 11:28

    OK, that ticks that box. As @ahart mentioned above you need someone with ET to do a fan calibration.

  10. #10Catchad812024-07-09 19:39

    Not to hijack a tread but I’m having an overheating problem also. This is a dozer that doesn’t get run every day. It first started in some brush where we noticed the fan was not auto reversing. Got tech out and he found the auto reverse was disabled in the setting…don’t know how. Got that set and did a fan cal and set the fan speed to the upper limits per the tech. All seemed well. Radiator fins good and clean. Fast forward some time of the machine sitting. Now back to overheating and noticed the top radiator hose collapsed. Loosen the plastic cap and hose expands so I know I have a possible cap or vent hose problem to resolve. Is there another cause for that?

  11. #11Nige2024-07-10 06:13

    To assist in locating information you'll need to provide a Serial Number.

  12. #12Catchad812024-07-10 07:14

    Rst00704

  13. #13Nige2024-07-10 07:53

    It might pay you to take a look (or replace) at the temperature regulator.

  14. #14Catchad812024-07-10 09:58

    What are you calling the temperature regulator? Thermostat?

  15. #15Nige2024-07-10 11:07

    Cat call it a temperature regulator. You might refer to it as a thermostat.

  16. #16Catchad812024-07-10 20:38

    So this far I have determined the vent/overflow tube being blocked was the issue. Have a spare cap and tstat on hand if needed and will report back. Thanks.