Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6N pulling code 113 0672.02

Philip S King · 2020-06-16 22:59

Anyone know what code this is? From other threads seems it should be the torque converter speed sensor. Any suggestions on diagnosing or causes appreciated.

Replies37
  1. #1Nige2020-06-17 08:47

    Here's the troubleshooting procedure. It contains an abbreviated version of the machine electrical schematic. If you want a complete machine schematic please post a Serial Number.

  2. #2Philip S King2020-06-17 09:30

    Thank you. CAT00D6NUALY02428

  3. #3Nige2020-06-17 09:41

    What's in that attachment I posted above should be enough. If you find that you need the full electrical schematic schematic while you are carrying out the troubleshooting procedure just let me know.

  4. #4Philip S King2020-06-17 09:47

    Also, high idle is only 1350 rpm. After it runs a few minutes at high idle it begins to miss and spit a puff of white smoke. I just changed the fuel filters hoping this would resolve. The machine appears to have been sitting mostly last six years. Would the torgue speed sensor cause this. I have several inactive codes showing. The only active code is the toruque speed sensor.

  5. #5Nige2020-06-17 10:01

    A TC Out Speed Sensor error should not affect High Idle RPM. I would go back and look at the fuel system again. You said you changed fuel filters. Did you drain any water/sediment from and/or change the fuel in the tank if the machine had been sitting for so long..? The possibility of algae in the tank should not be discounted. If present , it will plug up your new filters in short order.

  6. #6Philip S King2020-06-17 10:58

    Speed sensor tested at 750 0hms . I found no sediment in drained fuel. I can see a bit on the bottom of tank. Looked at fuel in clear container. The dyed red color looks normal. I saw just the slightest milky haze. Just doesn't seem like enough . But I am moving to drain tank. Compared to the fuel in some of my old junk , it looks good.

  7. #7Philip S King2020-06-17 11:00

    I don't think I should change filters again because I have not run it 10 minutes. No water or sediment observable in new fuel drain bowl attached to bottom of primary filter

  8. #8Philip S King2020-06-17 11:02

    Should I drain old fuel, disconnect return line at tank, use hand pump to circulate fresh fuel through system?

  9. #9Philip S King2020-06-17 11:05

    Never fell good about my ohms measurements. But , i guess at 750 I am out of range with temp ambient at 79bdeg. The resistance measures 1000 to 1200 ohms at ambient temperature or the resistance measures 800 to 1600 ohms for the temperature range of −40 °C (−40 °F) to 150 °C (302 °F). The speed sensor has not failed. Proceed to Test

  10. #10Philip S King2020-06-17 11:17

    I did add algae treatment and fuel treatment few days back

  11. #11Philip S King2020-06-17 14:04

    I need the torque converter speed sensor adjustment procedure? Thank You.

  12. #12Philip S King2020-06-17 15:09

    Speed sensor replaced code gone thank you. Moving on to low RPM issue. Any suggestion on fuel system diagnostics would be appreciated.

  13. #13Nige2020-06-17 15:29

    Have you got a pressure gauge that you can plumb into the fuel system on the outlet side of the secondary (spin-on) fuel filter head..? Measure the pressure with the engine at the highest RPM you can reach with the converter stalled and the transmission in 3rd speed forward.

  14. #14Philip S King2020-06-17 17:57

    I dont think so. Seems I will need multiple fittings. I believe the outlet is a mettle line that must run to the rail pump? Any idea how can get such a rig. Is it time for me to ask Cat? After I change the fuel? Is there a lift pump? Mechanical or electric?

  15. #15Philip S King2020-06-17 17:58

    Metal

  16. #16Philip S King2020-06-17 18:12

    What pressure would I be looking for?

  17. #17Philip S King2020-06-17 23:00

    "Torque converter stallled" pushing but immobile?

  18. #18Nige2020-06-18 05:11

    3rd speed forward, RPM as high as you can get it, service brake applied. Here is the procedure for the fuel pressure test along with the specifications. TBH I can't see any point in going further with diagnosing your low RPM issue until you have tested fuel system pressure.

  19. #19Philip S King2020-06-18 06:15

    Thanks Nige, Been reading threads tonight. I could be under hydraulic load from ripper circuit. I am. Going to check that soon. Next I am ready to change fuel.

  20. #20Philip S King2020-06-18 06:52

    Not identifying a load condition. Moving forward with fuel change and fuel pressure test.

  21. #21Philip S King2020-06-18 08:32

    Hmmm new hyd. Hose resting on fuel line. We shall see.

  22. #22Philip S King2020-06-18 13:27

    no luk yet

  23. #23Philip S King2020-06-18 14:07

    Air filter was well loaded. Blew it out and got my best rpm yet . But, only 1550. Entermitten miss with puffs of balck smoke. I see the muffler has a cross over pipe going to the air intake. What is that all about?

  24. #24Nige2020-06-18 14:11

    Post a photo. A Serial Number would also be a good idea. It helps in finding the right information. As a suggestion leave both the air filters out just for a quick test and see what maximum RPM you get.

  25. #25Philip S King2020-06-18 14:36

    No luck. I am beat. Air filter was loaded. Blew it out . Made another 1500rpm . Missing altenating white smoke , black smoke. 1550 top rpm. Called CAT.... sending technician.

  26. #26Philip S King2020-06-18 14:42

    Air to exhaust

  27. #27Philip S King2020-06-18 16:02

    Cat put laptop on it. Boost pressure sensor giving -7 to 35. Ordered replacement sensor. When the boat p. Goes to 35 is when it spits a buff of gray smoke.

  28. #28Nige2020-06-18 16:27

    That's the dust ejector system, designed to suck dust out of the pre-cleaner assembly and blow it up the stack. Take a look down the exhaust pipe and check that the ejector nozzle is not burned out, otherwise the system will blow rather than suck, and that is not good for the air filters. Maybe that is why your filter was so contaminated..?

  29. #29Philip S King2020-06-18 23:28

    Invoked up in the air intake pipe after removing the filter. I saw about a 1/3 of the venturi times are melted. Couldn't figure out what it was all about

  30. #30Philip S King2020-06-18 23:29

    Thank you

  31. #31Nige2020-06-19 04:38

    I strongly suspect that the root cause of your problem is in the exhaust side, not in the air filter. You need to get it fixed before moving opn to your low RPM issues because it will be affecting air flow through the engine. Take a look at these thread. They may give you some more insight. HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums

  32. #32Philip S King2020-06-19 09:48

    Turbo is locked . Corrosion observed fresh air side

  33. #33Philip S King2020-06-19 09:50

    thank you. Would guess air flow might have caused turbo issues.

  34. #34Nige2020-06-19 10:10

    If as you say the machine was stood for some 6 years without running, the turbo bearings could well have seized up due to oil starvation unless it was prelubed before the first attempt to start it after the long period of inactivity. I'm guessing that you did not prelube it before trying to crank it up for the first time.?

  35. #35Philip S King2020-06-22 08:04

    I have heard about the turbo issue. Could be the cause of failure. Plan on going with cat remnufactured. Little disappointed in the technician. I think the turbo bost numbers were correct. He should not have replaced the sensor. Should have gone straight to turbo. I mentioned to him that the it was running in suction. I too should have said no turbo bost present. I remeber thinking obstruction but I thought I was hearing turbo spool. I know diagnostics are not easy but I have to pay a $135 truck fee for each plus $125 hr.

  36. #36Peter Boettcher2024-02-09 11:49

    I would like a full machine schematic. Just doing this procedure on my 2005 D6N and having trouble with the open and short test due to not finding the location of the of the other end of the wiring harness. Sequence number: ALY01433. Sequence number: BMA18557

  37. #37Nige2024-02-09 12:08

    Sure. Check your messages.