Machine seems to have a load on it when running it. I also have oil leaking around the starter after running it a while. I checked torque converter pressures and was in spec, it feels like torque converter is flooded with oil. Where is the seal located that usually gives troubles. Anything else I should check out when I drop it?
Not so much a seal as a controlled drain off, start looking for lines running off the converter case back to reservoir not from source pump, may be a screen loaded inline filter loaded or a collapsed hose/debris.
Cat is not too helpful on this one. They kind of show the screen for the converter in the maintenance manual section but it's not too clear. There are actually two screens in the system that I can find, one in the hose at the converter as shown in the "scavenge screen" pdf below and it also is one of the two in the parts breakdown below #6 in the red circle. There is also one under the four bolt cover also shown inside the red circle #3. I would check both of these just to be safe for a starting point.
A better picture of the one marked #3 above:
before I pull four bolt cover should I drain all system oil out first
Maybe someone else can comment on this who has first hand knowledge of this machine. All I can say is all the other Cat machines I have worked on you could remove the magnetic filters like that with only a slight loss of oil. That said the screen I would be first checking is the one that appears to be inside the hose just to the right of the four bolt cover in the #3 post above. That one appears to be in the line going to the converter where the four bolt cover screen is in the transmission from the way I read the manual.
I drained all oil on mine this is what it looked like
Cant tell from pic what material is Pull scavenge line from torque check screen
Did you do a stall test checking torque outlet pressure should be under 80psi when hot if the mind is working I think k there's a pressure for case pressure witch shows if scavenge system is working. if it's filling up under light load and its most likely scavenge related
was mostly rust not sure why.
well i drained all oil at trans drain plug, pulled scavenge line from torque, screen clean as a whistle. pulled mag and screen at four bolt cover it had some stuff on mag small fine metal not a lot the kind you normally c on a final drive mag,and screen was pretty clean. i drained what i thought was all the oil then i opened up the transmission scavenge screen {four bolt cover on back of trans} and got soaked with another five gallons i was not ready for ,is this normal. did a torque pressure test with cat tech on phone and everything was spec,it seems to leak around starter when it gets hot, pushing heavy, would a clogged radiator cause the torque and trans to heat causing fluid to leak around starter, the radiator was full of crap
I have a 6r 5ln I bought this spring and when I drained the trans oil then pulled the screen on the back of the trans I did not have a lot of oil come out maybe a quart. I don't no why cat made it so you have to drain the trans to check the screens.when you have a trans problem one of the first things you want to do is check the mag screen. On my 15c the magnetic screen is above the sump so you can check it at any time.
when i pulled line from bottom of torque withe inline screen, i would say about a gallon came out of torque converter. if it was a flooding problem, should the torque have had more then a gallon. probably should do scavenger pump test like 91 said to make sure its working. any one have the procedure for scavenger pump check.
I don't see any reference to oil temperature. High transmission temperature is often a symptom connected to a converter being flooded with oil. If there i also high oil temperature Cat gives a trouble shooting list for checking that which I will attach to this message.
That trouble shooting chart references two other charts one for Pressure Taps and one for Pressures, I'll attach them here:
Should be a vent line from Torque to bevel gear case newer ones vent to atmosphere I'd try vent to atmosphere and do a stall test while doing stall test how low does engine pull down. Sounds like a worn torque converter but could be low inlet pressure or stick modulation valve in trans.