Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat D6R Series 2 Engine swap

pcparker ยท 2013-08-18 14:41

Hello all, Though I have been reading posts for years, I am new to the forum. I am from a country where emissions are not an issue yet for dozers. I own a Cat D6R series 2 with a C9 engine. Like most I have had issues with heui pump and injectors. Now engine has a cracked cylinder head. Does anyone know of anyone that has been able to swap out the C9 for another engine? I would love to drop in a 3306 DI engine into it? Phil

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2013-08-18 19:35

    Your C9 is electronic with all the bells & whistles. To try to drop a mechanical engine into it like a 3306 would open a major can of worms. IIRC the transmision, implement, & monitor systems would each communicate over the Cat Datalink with the engine ECM. I'm not sure how you would manage to fool them that the electronic engine was there when in fact it wasn't.

  2. #268M2013-08-19 00:42

    pcparker, tell us all if you find out if it can be done, one of the worst things Cat ever did was take the 3306 out of the D6, they burn less fuel says Cat, Yeah right, our one loves the fuel, it burns oil too, and has just cost over $10,000.00c to replace the fuel pump and injectors at 6000hrs. 3306 would still be going at 25000hrs. Vibration damper just came to bits too, another $1000.00c. Cat says consumers want the new C9 engine, not me, I wonder what is next, hopefully not a cracked head too. Hate to say easiest way is probably sell your D6r series II and buy a series I Cheers 68m

  3. #3Per Eriksson2013-08-19 15:41

    C7/9 likes to drop valves too. But over here the bottom ends just seem to go forever, but a headchange is needed usually after the dropped valve at about the 10,000hour mark, just buff out the marks in the piston and cylinder and go for another 10k.... More frequent oilchanges pays off also, heuisystem lasts much longer then. A reman head isn't expensive compared to other Cat bits, atleast not here?

  4. #4pcparker2013-08-19 15:51

    68M if I figure a way to swap I will certainly let you know. I also have a Series I which works great with the 3306.

  5. #5pcparker2013-08-19 15:54

    Per, Have been looking for a reasonably priced head for a while without success. Do you have a contact where I can source a reman head? Just in case, I found a rebuilt head in the US however it is for a marine C9 engine. I wondering if this would work on the C9 in the D6r ii?

  6. #6Nige2013-08-19 16:33

    Phil, What Serial Number prefix is your 6R II and what part number of head have you been offered..? There may be some differences between models.

  7. #7pcparker2013-08-19 17:19

    Nige my serial prefix is ADE and the head offered is 273-3033. My cracked head is 210-5987

  8. #8Nige2013-08-19 18:13

    The latest number for the 210-5987 head assembly on your tractor is 273-3034. Despite the fact that there is only 1 digit difference between what you have been offered the head itself, the valve seats, and the injector sleeves are different. A lot is common (like the valves, springs, keepers, rotators, etc) but that head is not going to fit your tractor. Just a comment regarding what Per said above. If your old head is cracked it won't qualify (IMHO) for Core Deposit on a Reman head unless you keep quiet about it and the crack is not plainly visible on a visual inspection.

  9. #9pcparker2013-08-19 18:57

    Nige thanks for the info on the head. I will have to keep looking. Unlessl I get really BRAVE and see if I can guinea pig and see if I can get a 3306 into the series 2.

  10. #10Nige2013-08-19 19:04

    Have you tried your local Cat dealer for a price on a Reman head..?

  11. #11pcparker2013-08-19 19:14

    In our neck of the woods, the Cat dealer bearly stocks parts more than minor stuff. The have to order just about all parts. Which could take a while. And cost crazy money.

  12. #12Per Eriksson2013-08-20 11:48

    Reman part for 210-5984 is 0R-1914 Should be about half the cost. http://www.kustom-parts.com/caterpillarcylinderheadpn0r-1914-caterpillarhead.aspx